Employment at Uber
Uber provides individuals with the ability to set their own schedules, meet new people, and make money using their own vehicle. The information below will walk you through the Uber application process and what to expect once you submit your Uber application.
If you are thinking about starting an Uber application, you will need a car and a mobile phone with a data plan. If you don’t have a car, Uber has options (discussed further below) for leasing or renting one.
If you are interested in driving for Uber, you can find their online Uber application on their website. Before starting your Uber application, browse the information below to make sure the process goes smoothly.
Uber Online Job Application
Uber allows you to choose when and how often you drive. Their main website allows you to apply online quickly and easily. Before beginning your Uber application, make sure you have a few key documents on hand:
- State driver’s license;
- Proof of insurance (your name and vehicle must be listed);
- Vehicle state inspection form (not required in all states);
- Vehicle registration.
Once on the Uber website, you will fill out a quick online form indicating if you have a car or if you will need one. Further information about renting or leasing a car from Uber is at the bottom of this article.
You will need to provide an email address and a password for your account. This email address will remain on file even if you become an inactive driver. This happens after 30 days of inactivity. So, make sure that you have regular access to the email address you provide.
Once you create your account, you will provide additional personal information that Uber will use to complete your driving record and background check. Uber finishes these checks to ensure rider safety. If you have a concern about the results of your screenings, you may contact Uber support.
Minimum Age for Employment at Uber
There are just a few age and experience requirements for Uber drivers:
- At least 21 years of age;
- One year of driving experience if over 23;
- Three years of driving experience if under 23;
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
Vehicles used for Uber must have four doors. Additional requirements for vehicle age and condition vary by state. But most states require cars be ten years old or newer, in good working condition with no cosmetic damage. Some states will require you have your vehicle inspected, but Uber has many partners that will complete this inspection for you free of charge.
Uber Hours of Operation
Your Uber account will provide suggestions on how to manage your time as an Uber Driver. You can drive when you want. But Uber does use surge pricing which many drivers take advantage of to make the most of their driving time.
Some controversy has risen regarding limiting how many hours per day drivers can work. Some cities limit ride sharing, taxi and limo drivers to 12 hours of driving time per day. This is to prevent driving fatigue and delayed reaction time.
The number of cities enforcing this rule is expected to increase in the coming months as concerns of driver safety are on the rise. At the current time, Uber has not released an official statement regarding daily driving limits. They do, however, offer in-app incentives for completing a certain number of trips per week and referring inexperienced drivers to complete the Uber application.
Entry-Level Uber Careers and Income
The Uber website states, the more you drive, the more you make. The actual model that Uber uses to determine rates will be discussed below. Uber pays weekly via direct deposit and has recently partnered with Instant Pay which will transfer your payment automatically to your bank account anytime.
When thinking about how much you might make driving for Uber, keep in mind that prices depend on your area and will fluctuate based on surge pricing availability. Waves usually occur during sporting events, peak hours (10pm-2am) and morning rush hour (6am-10am). But they may occur any time that demand for drivers suddenly increases. The application will alert you while you are driving of a nearby surge. Large cities tend to rise more often than suburban areas. But a surge may occur anywhere that more drivers are needed than are currently signed on.
How does Uber Determine Fares?
Fares are calculated based on how far and how long each trip takes to complete. This means that riders pay per mile, per minute, plus a booking fee for each ride. Each city pays different rates per minute/per mile. You can visit uber.com/cities to see fares for each town and vehicle type.
Here are some examples from Uber’s website regarding fares (booking fees are usually $1-2 and are added at the end of the fare):
- Los Angeles – $0.15 per minute and $0.90 per mile;
- San Francisco – $0.22 per minute and $1.15 per mile;
- Chicago – $0.20 per minute and $0.90 per mile.
For example, if you accept a 10-mile ride in Los Angeles that takes 20 minutes and the booking fee is $1.25, the rider will pay $3.00 + $9.00 + $1.25 for that ride for a total fare of $13.25. If that area surges, the per mile and minute rate will go up, as can the booking fee, which will increase the fare for that ride.
Other Careers with Uber
Uber offers a variety of career options beyond driving. Their website lists the following employment categories with positions updated daily throughout the United States and around the world:
- Business and Sales;
- Financing and Accounting;
- Global Community Operations;
- Operations and Launch;
- People Operations;
- Public Policy;
- Rental and Leasing;
- Safety and Security;
If you see a position you are interested in; you will complete a full application through Uber’s website. This application will require a resume, letter of interest, and personal information for a background check authorization. Uber is known to hire from within its driver pool for some operational positions. So, it’s never a bad idea to keep an eye on their careers page.
Basic Tips for Applying at Uber
- The Uber application process is simple and straightforward. There is no interview, there is no cover letter or resume to submit. Once all vehicle and driver documents are presented, Uber initiates a background check and a driving record check.
- Once those checks come back approved, you can expect to receive approval to drive within seven days or less.
- After they are approved, sign into the Uber Partners App to let riders know you are available. The app will notify you when you have your first ride request.
- The app provides a video series that will walk you through your first few trips as a driver. These videos also discuss various scenarios you may run into as an Uber driver.
Advanced Tips for Applying at Uber
After creating your account on the Uber website, you will be prompted to download the Uber Partners App for your mobile phone. This mobile app is different from the one that Uber riders use. It will connect directly with your preferred navigation application when accepting rides (Google Maps is preferred).
The Uber Partners app allows you to view surge areas (color coded based on demand and fare prices). It also allows you to accept or to decline ride requests. You must run the app the entire time you are driving for Uber in your car. Only turn on the app when you are ready to accept rides, and close the app when you are ready to stop taking rides for the day.
Once you have downloaded the Uber Partners App, you can either upload photos of your critical documents using the website or on your mobile phone. If you have questions about your Uber application or problems while filling out the online form and uploading documents, you can contact Uber Support via email (in-app) or phone. Local Uber support numbers vary by state and are provided on the website using your location. Uber support team members typically respond to emails within a few hours.
Once you have uploaded your documents, you will be able to upload a picture of yourself that potential riders will see when the app offers them a ride. Take a well-lit photo of yourself in your driver’s seat during the daytime for best results.
Benefits of Uber
There are many benefits to driving for Uber. The ability to set your schedule attracts most applicants to the Uber application. Uber makes every effort to support their drivers in the event of a driver versus rider dispute. Drivers are compensated for tolls, long trips, and any damage to their vehicle due to a passenger’s negligence. For example, if someone is sick in your vehicle, Uber will cover the cost to have the car cleaned.
Uber provides its insurance coverage in the event of an accident if the Uber Partners App was running during the time of the crash. The Uber support team is responsive to driver emails within hours to resolve issues with riders or the mobile app as quickly as possible.
Uber now has partnerships with major U.S. airports. This allows drivers to pick up and drop off passengers at airports. You must enter a queue to pick up from airports. You can choose this option in the Uber Partners app.
Driving for Uber allows you to be your boss. You can control when you work, where you work, and even when you get paid. If Driving for Uber is not what you are looking for, you can explore their corporate positions as well to see if they have a category that matches your skill set and interest. Uber Drivers have freedom and flexibility in their work.
Useful and Interesting Facts about Uber
- Safe driving: Uber makes many efforts to ensure driver safety. Drivers should make sure to run the Uber Partners App during rides to enable GPS tracking of your vehicle in case of an emergency. Uber advises all drivers to pull over and end a trip immediately should they feel unsafe at any time during a ride. Uber uses a two-way rating system where riders rate the drivers and drivers rate their passengers. If either party ranks the other with a score of 1, that driver and passenger will not be matched
- Special insurance: Uber has its insurance entity that covers drivers while the Uber Partners app is running. Drivers do need to have personal insurance that meets the minimum insurance requirements in their state.
- Work application: The Uber Partners application uses about 3GB of data or less per month on average. Uber encourages drivers to explore unlimited data options with their mobile data provider.
- Possible car rentals: Uber does rent cars to drivers for a weekly fee, comparable to what ZipCar They now offer vehicle leasing options, subject to credit approval. Rental or leased cars from Uber and their vehicle partners will require a particular level of car insurance from specific companies depending on the vehicle and dealer.
The Uber application is simple and user-friendly for potential drivers. You will know the results of your application in a matter of days. If you are ready for a new career that allows you to work for yourself while meeting new and exciting people every day, the Uber driver application is a great first step.
To discover other popular job applications read here: