Employment at Discount Tire
Discount Tire was founded in 1960 in Ann Arbor, Michigan and is currently the world’s largest independent tire and wheel retailer. They operate more than 900 stores in 29 states. After finishing this article, you should understand the entire Discount Tire application process and be able to easily apply for a job.
Discount Tire Application
The Discount Tire application process begins by visiting their career page . Before you even begin your job search, you will find that Discount Tire credits their success to their people. They look for enthusiastic and talented team members to join the Discount Tire family. The career page is straight-forward and easy to follow. The Discount Tire application process provides two ways to search. They offer a search by store opportunities and another search for corporate opportunities. The links are shortly down the career page. You can find the store opportunities here and the corporate opportunities here.
After choosing whether to visit the store opportunities or corporate opportunities, you will find a brief overview of those opportunities as a whole including the types of people they are searching for. You will also find some employee testimonials that highlight why working at Discount Tire is a positive experience. Just a short way down the page is a link that says Join our Talent Community. This is essentially the first step in the Discount Tire application process. Here, you will provide some basic information such as email, name, desired job title, location and level of interest. At the end of this section is the opportunity to upload your resume. Once complete, submit the form and you will be taken to the Job Search page.
The job search area provides more than just a list of jobs. Here you can learn more about Discount Tire, view benefits, view “featured careers” or simply search “all jobs”. When you click on featured careers, you then have an opportunity to narrow down a bit more. You can choose Corporate Featured Careers, Store Featured Careers or America’s Tire Store opportunities (this is what Discount Tire is called in California). Once you have chosen a category (for example, Corporate Featured Careers), you will be taken to a page that gives a brief overview of corporate careers along with a list of available jobs and their description. Some of the corporate departments include the following:
- Human Resources
If you search Store Featured Careers you will find departments such as:
- Project Management
- Store Associates
Each department offers a number of opportunities. Corporate Career opportunities include:
- Sr. Technology Vendor Relationship Specialist: Works on IT vendor relationship strategy. Their primary job is to make sure their IT vendors are delivering the maximum value they can to Discount Tire.
- Business Relationship Manager: These people work with various departments to overcome a number of business challenges, ensure processes align with the companies strategy and play a key role in the development of new projects.
- Senior Service Now Developer: This person works closely with stakeholders on applications and reports. They also analyze existing tools and determine the viability to the company application.
- Analytics and Optimization Strategist: This position monitors traffic on-line and in-store and suggests new tactics to stimulate growth.
- Data Engineer: This person works closely with all aspects of data including testing, bugs and data test lines. They are also the ones who troubleshoot any data or performance related issues.
- Sr. Project Manager: They offer the collaboration between project stakeholders and project team members. They work with department leadership during all stages of the life cycle of any project.
- Real Estate Accounting Specialist: They work with current vendor and landlord contracts and are responsible for any financial related real estate issue.
- Regional Administrative Assistant: This person performs basic administrative duties such as answering calls, setting up meetings, preparing reports, assisting with internal and external communication and supports in any way needed.
The corporate positions are located in Scottsdale, AZ.
Some Store Opportunities include:
- Sr. Project Manager: Similar to the corporate opportunity, they offer the collaboration between project stakeholders and project team members. They work with department leadership during all stages of the life cycle of the project.
- Store Associates: These opportunities are both part-time and full-time. These individuals are trained on tire installation, maintenance on tires, rotations, balances and various repairs. They are also responsible for exceptional service to Discount Tire customers.
- Store Management: Oversees the local store team and is responsible for financial management, team management and employee development.
Discount Tire Application Process Step by Step:
- Visit discounttire.com
- Scroll to the bottom of the home page and you will find a heading called “Company”. Underneath this heading you will find the careers button.
- Click on “Join Our Talent Network”.
- Create your profile that will be used when you login and apply for a job during the Discount Tire application process.
- Choose your search criteria for what type of job you are looking for and where. You can type in a keyword and location. You can also choose “View all jobs at Discount Tire“. If you do choose to view all jobs, you will see menus on the left hand side that will allow you to narrow your search by category and location.
- Find a job or jobs that you are interested in applying for. Each open job offers a “job snapshot” that provides basic details about the position. It’s a great first place to begin reading when you find a job you may want to apply for. It will tell you things such as whether the position is full-time or part-time, location, experience needed (if provided) and what type of job. Discount Tire does a great job providing great detail about each position which includes job responsibilities and requirements, job qualifications, experience needed, degree required etc. It will also provide work days and work hours.
- Finally, if interested, click on “Apply.”.
Online Discount Tire Application Process
- The first step in the Discount Tire Application process once you click apply is to upload your resume. There will also be a box that you can check that says “include cover letter”. That is not required but always a good idea.
- Fill out your personal information. This will include your name, contact information, why you want the job you are applying for, your willingness to commute, your salary requirements and finally a question that asks about your dreams. Discount Tire is interested in developing their employees and their dreams.
- The final step is easy. Simply click on “Submit Application” and the Discount Tire application process is complete for that position.
Minimum Age for Employment
The minimum age to apply for a position at Discount Tire is 16 years of age. They do provide entry-level opportunities at the retail store level and the corporate level. These include positions such as store associate at the retail store and customer service or administrative assistant at the corporate level.
Hours of Operation
Most retail locations are open from 8A-6P Monday-Friday and 8A-5P on Saturday. Discount Tire is closed on Sundays. Operating hours at the corporate office may vary by position.
Entry-level Careers and Respective Income
Discount Tire offers several entry-level careers. The range of pay is anywhere from $9.44 to $18.44. Entry-level technicians start out on the lower end of that range. Other entry-level positions and their respective approximate pay include:
- Tire technician: $11.10/hour
- Service technician: $10.64/hr
- Service coordinator: $12.60/hr
Careers in Management
Discount Tire believes strongly in promoting from within. They are interested in developing their employees to reach their highest potential. Therefore, management positions are often available within the company. An assistant store manager may make around $38k/year while a store manager averages slightly over $51k/year.
Benefits of Working at Discount Tire
During the Discount Tire application process, visit the “Benefits Page”. Generous benefits are available to both part-time and full-time employees. Some of these benefits include:
- Excellent starting salary
- Premier training program
- Employee referral bonus
- Paid vacations
- Paid holidays
- 401k program
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- Tuition assistance
- Long-term and short-term disability
- Scholarship program for dependents
- Discounts on tire and wheel purchases
Discount Tire holds nothing back in regards to employee benefits making this a great place to work together with the atmosphere.
Basic Tips for Applying at Discount Tire
In order for the Discount Tire application process to go as smoothly as possible, consider the following 5 tips:
- Research Discount Tire beforehand. Understand their history and their values.
- Be attentive to grammar and spelling. This is the first representation of yourself to a potential decision maker so be sure to run a spelling and grammar check on your resume. While filling out the online profile, pay attention to spelling and word choice as well.
- Ask a couple of people to review your resume and give you feedback on ways you might be able to improve it.
- Follow instructions. Be attentive to detail and fill out the application exactly as directed.
- Ensure you have adequate time when applying for a job. You don’t want to rush through the application process. If you do, it will often shown up in careless mistakes and could cost you the opportunity to interview.
- Know the company ahead of time- Do your homework. Don’t get caught off guard not knowing basic information about what the company does or what the job description is that you are applying for.
- Research common interview questions and practice responses to them- You can find multiple lists of potential interview questions on-line along with suggested responses.
- Dress professionally- Put your best foot forward and dress for the promotion you are aiming for down the road.
- Be on time- Being late for a job interview is not a way to make a good first impression. Plan for traffic ahead of time and plan on being early.
- Be positive, upbeat and enthusiastic about the job for which you are applying
- Thank the interviewer for their time when wrapping up- It’s important to acknowledge that the interviewer took time out of his/her day to get to know you and your potential for the job.
- Ask when a good time to follow-up might be- It’s not a bad idea to ask when it might be appropriate to follow-up if you have not heard anything for a while.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for the job! – Make the close before you leave. Oftentimes, an interviewer will conclude by asking if you have any questions for them; use this opportunity to ask for the job. It could make the difference between you and the next person walking in to interview for the position.
Working at Discount Tire
Working at Discount Tire you will be surrounded by spirited and talented co-workers who are striving to be the best they can be. The work environment is upbeat and management works hard to lead the positive morale by rewarding employees in both compensation and benefits.
Start the Discount Tire application process now!
For more interesting and popular career applications:
Old Navy Application