Employment at Kmart
Kmart is a subsidiary of Sears Holding Corporation. There are over 1200 stores throughout the U.S., Puerto Rico, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Of those, 26 are Super Centers. In December 2011, the parent company announced closings of 120 Sears and Kmart retail stores nationwide. Of these, 60 are Kmart stores mainly in the southwest. However, the parent company is also converting many of its current properties in other retail stores under the holding group into Kmart stores. Kmart is a discount retail store that carries name brands including Jaclyn Smith, Joe Boxer, Country Living and Route 66.
In 2013 the company owned 1.221 stores in 49 states, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands. Kmart became popular due to its “Blue Light Specials”. Blue lights occurred when a store worker would randomly turn on a mobile police light and offer a major discount at one of the departments in the store. As a matter of fact, in May 2007, the parent company, Sears Holdings Corporation, together with Kmart, decided to name a new mascot and spokesperson for the company: Mr. Bluelight. As you might have guessed, it was inspired from the infamous “Blue Light Specials”.
Mr. Bluelight is a blue light bulb with a cartoonish design who gives clients ideas on how to make the most out of the Kmart shopping experience. The company’s headquarters can be found in the Hoffman Estates in Illinois, United States. It was previously located in Troy, Michigan in Greater Detroit. At the moment, Sears’s subsidiaries include: Kmart, Big Kmart, Kmart superstores, Kmart Super center, Kdollar, K-Café, Kwash and Kmart Express. For job-seekers, the overwhelming number of subsidiaries and stores means more chances for employment.
Kmart is one of the largest department store chains in the country. It is constantly hiring job hopefuls for various positions on part time, seasonal and full time contracts in different states including NYC. As part of the Sears Holding Corporation group, Kmart promotes from within and transfers its managers to other of the holding company’s stores, either on request or as needed. Kmart has expanded its product offerings to include large home appliances and pharmacies. The super stores are open 24 hours a day and include a grocery department. Kmart is on schedule to becoming more competitive with other big box stores.
Kmart careers are available for applicants that can serve customers in a retail setting. If you are seeking to start a new career where your expertise and ideas empower you in the work place, submit an application for Kmart by clicking on the link provided. But before you jump to the application process, you should learn a little bit about the company. It is important to know a little bit about Kmart’s history, available positions, salary options and application process. In the following article we will share relevant information that will help you apply for suitable Kmart careers.
Official site: www.mykmart.com
Kmart Online Job Application
Kmart stores offer thousands of job opportunities. This attracts huge waves of applicants that are interested in various positions, from entry-level to administrative ones. You will have no problems finding a suitable job for your skills. There are basically two methods of submitting your Kmart job application. You can either download the PDF printable version of the application from the official website (www.kmart careers.com), fill it out and submit it in person, or you can fill out the application and submit it directly on the website. You will be required to login to your account to submit your app.
If you choose the second method you have to go to the careers page of Sears Holdings (because Kmart is a subsidiary of the company) and search for job openings in Kmart stores. By clicking on the Kmart Careers button (on the bottom of the page) you will be taken to the Sears Holding Company career page to fill out your Kmart online applications.
On the left side of the screen you will four tabs: “Store”, “Home Services”, “Distribution” and “Corporate”. By clicking on one of these tabs you will automatically filter through to relevant results. Searching for available positions and applying online is done through your Facebook, LinkedIn or MySpace account. Your general information is automatically filled in through one of these sites. After this step is completed, you may apply by filling out a Kmart application that will be sent to the department and locale where you wish to work. The entire process is extremely simple, and you will be guided through the Kmart application process step-by-step.
Minimum Age for Employment at Kmart
In general, the minimum age to submit a Kmart job application is 18 for entry-level jobs. The minimum age may also vary by state or country of employment. Because Kmart is part of the Sears Holdings Corporation, you may apply at any of their other stores or distribution centers from the same career page. Kmart is undergoing some major transformations at this time changing many of its procedures, upgrading its product selection for stores, and transferring managers from one part of the parent company’s retail outlets to another.
Even though it appears that there is major downsizing at this time, there is not. There are major conversions and transformations and new management teams are especially needed. For immediate consideration for one of the positions and further information, submit a Kmart job application form online today.
Kmart Hours of Operation
Kmart’s individual stores open at different hours and days. To find out what the hours of operation are for the store nearest you, check that store’s site online. Most stores operate according to the following schedule:
Monday – Saturday: 8:00 AM – 9:00 PM
Sunday: 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM
Please keep in mind that a Kmart associate is expected to arrive before opening hours or leave after closing time in order to complete maintenance and cleaning tasks. In addition to this, some positions are available for night shifts (stocking, warehouse and distribution positions). You can find out more information about opening and closing hours on www.superkmart.com.
Entry-Level Kmart Careers and Income
Available Kmart Jobs: District loss prevention manager, sales associate, cashier, pharmacy technician, merchandise support associate, PR, restaurant associate, store manager in training, assistant manager, pharmacist, stock associate, truck driver, merchandiser, customer service associate, junior planner, service desk associate, customer service lead, easy technology associate, furniture associate etc.
Many Kmart careers begin with entry-level positions. Typically, entry-level openings include cashiers, sales associates and warehouse positions. Some warehouse positions are in-store while others are at distribution centers around the country. Testing is done at the store location for knowledge and personality related to customer service, integrity issues such as handling cash, and particular interests and skills. Allow 4 to 5 hours for this pre-interview testing process.
Kmart Careers for Cashiers: Cashiers are expected to work accurately and honestly with customers. It is important to have a warm personality and be able to make customers feel comfortable. Cashiers are also responsible to account for any shortages in their cash drawer. To be considered for this position you do know require extensive background and experience. However, you must prove to the hiring staff that you have exceptional interpersonal skills, because you will be required to interact with clients on a daily basis.
Basic math skills, written & oral communication knowledge is also necessary. The starter salary and compensation for Kmart cashiers is 8.00$ per hour but it may improve with tenure. If you think that this type of entry-level career is what you are looking for you should submit your Kmart online job application now.
Kmart Careers for Sales Associates: Sales associates are expected to assist customers on the floor, find an associate or manager that can answer the questions that they cannot answer, and keep their areas clean and safe at all times. Sales associates restock products that are returned or left at registers as quickly as possible. In general, associate positions encompass multiple roles in the store. For example, a sales associate may be required to handle the cash register or stock products, depending on need.
Most sales associates have to restock merchandise in specific departments help customers with their purchases and maintain store cleanliness. Like the cashier position, Sales Associate Kmart careers have a starting salary of 8.00$/hourly. Candidates who prove themselves worthy will also benefit from non-wage perks such as 401 (K) retirement plans, health care and paid time off.
Kmart Careers for Warehouse & Distribution Personnel: Kmart jobs for warehouse and distribution staff are always available. If you have physical endurance, and are open to work unusual shifts, you should definitely consider sending in your KMart Application for a warehouse/distribution position. Warehouse personnel check-in the merchandise from the distribution center against the shipping invoice account. Any discrepancies must be registered with your management team so that the distribution center may be notified.
In-store office help often includes bookkeeping and secretarial duties. Experience and education are considered when determining the wage rate paid. Distribution centers have openings for those who pull product and prepare it for shipment to local stores. The requirements for these jobs include the ability to accurately record the stock numbers, item descriptions and amount of merchandise shipped to a particular location. Excellent reading and writing skills are essential. In addition, the ability to lift 50-pound objects may be necessary in some areas of the center. Depending on experience and department, Warehouse and distribution personnel may earn between 8.00 and 10.00$ per hour. Extra hours are paid well, and you will also benefit from non-wage perks.
Loss prevention teams are hired for both stores and distribution centers. Honesty and integrity are mandatory qualifications necessary. Be able to follow directions and reporting skills are important.
Kmart Careers for Supervisors: In-store department Supervisors are hourly wage employees that are on a career path to management level positions. Supervisors report to their store managers, direct team meetings, and oversee the quality of work conducted by their team members. In addition, supervisors are expected to help associates complete their job description and duties, help with customer questions, and locate the needed information for training or stocking areas. Excellent organizational and leadership skills are a must for these managers in training. Salaries vary greatly from supervisor to supervisor, but they usually oscillate between entry level and management values (example: 12.00$/hour)
Hourly wages are competitive according to the location, job description, knowledge and experience of the applicant. To begin your career with Kmart at the entry-level position, fill out and submit a Kmart application today.
Kmart Careers in Management
Starting a career in management at Kmart allows you the option to move vertically, laterally or horizontally within the Sears Holdings Corporation structures. Management positions are filled by qualified associates that have expressed the desire to create a career with Kmart, by outside applicants with the needed skills for openings and by sponsorships of college undergraduates discovered at career days.
If you are a college graduate, moving into a significant management position with any one of the Sears Holdings Corporation companies will allow you access to internal promotions across the spectrum. To submit your resume and Kmart employment application, go to the career site and the appropriate section.
There are two major positions available for managers: assistant manager and store manager. Assistant managers must implement corporate merchandising, organize schedules for workers, hire new personnel and oversee operations. All assistant managers report to their store managers. To be considered for a Kmart career in management you must have background in the retail industry, and preferably, a minimum education of high-school diploma or bachelor’s degree. Depending on store location, tenure and sales, a manager may earn between 40.000 and 100.000 dollars per year. If you’d like to apply for Kmart management positions you should do some research about the company’s expectations and vision. This will enable you to write a better application than your competitors.
More info on www.Kmart online.com
Basic Tips for Applying at Kmart
As we already mentioned the Kmart application process is extremely simple. Kmart emphasizes on the importance of cover letters. A cover letter is the best chance to explain to the employer why he should hire you. We urge you to attach this, and a relevant resume to your Kmart job application. Let’s take a look at several other tips that will make your application shine:
- It is advisable to fill out the Kmart application and then save it for 24 hours before you submit it. This allows you time to mentally review the application and add any significant information you may have left out by accident.
- Gather information about the position that you are applying for. Are you sure you have all the knowledge and experience required to be considered for this Kmart job? If you do, make sure to highlight them in your Kmart application.
- Never structure your typed sentences in a conversational tone. Very often, job-seekers submit applications that are too casual. This does not speak of professionalism. You can use a casual tone during the interview if you really want to, but the Kmart online application should be well structured.
- List any specific qualities that you possess that could benefit Kmart as a whole. This could include “team player”, bilingual experience and the languages spoken, college student interested in a career within the corporation, etc.
- In general, applications are held for 60-90 days for entry-level positions. Save it if possible, so you do not have to refill all the fields later.
- You don’t have to submit your application for a single Kmart career. There are plenty of Kmart jobs that you can apply for. You should, however, customize your application to fit the criteria of each job.
- Always check your Kmart application form to ensure that your address, telephone number, email address and other pertinent information is spelled correctly.
- Be certain to fill out all the blank spaces on the application that apply to you. If there are areas that do not apply, fill it with “n/a” to assure the interviewer that you have read the jobs and employment form rather than overlooked areas.
- Refrain from covering up secrets from the past. By submitting your Kmart job application you are consenting to a drug test and background check. You can be sure that the company will check the information you submitted before calling you for an interview. Honesty is always the best policy.
- Check your application status online or by following-up with hiring personnel.
For specific information about benefits, ask your interviewer in the first meeting for details. You should also check with the official portal (www.kmart.com) for more details about the Kmart application process.
Advanced Tips for Applying at Kmart
Kmart job application forms may be submitted online for convenience, but it may also be a good idea to submit it in person. This will give you a chance to meet with the hiring personnel. If all goes well, you might even secure an interview faster. However, if you decide to proceed with the Kmart application online process, here are a few things that you should know:
- The application can be submitted in English or Spanish (with the language selection tool).
- We advise you to prepare several documents before you begin the application process. This will save you a lot of time. Be prepared to offer information about work history, education and availability. The Kmart application has two pages. It contains generic questions related to your background, availability, role requirements, rights and childhood employment (for candidates under the age of 18).
- Consider which jobs to include! As you can see from the job application, you can write down three positions that you would prefer. Include work history and skills that will reflect your ability to do these Kmart jobs well.
- You also have a space provided for “special skills”, side projects and personal interests. If you don’t find this space you can also add this information to your attached resume. Mention the things that you think would reflect your ability to fulfill the company’s missions (example: leadership, team-work etc.).
- Use the “Career Path Finder” on the official website to find a career that will suit you. If you are in college you should definitely check out the Collegiate Program information. Lastly, there are several opportunities for internships, mentoring programs and support for individuals who wish to invest in their retailing career.
Kmart Application Form PDF Version: mykmart.com
Kmart Interview Tips& Hiring Process Information
As you probably expect, the Kmart Career Interview varies greatly by position. For example, entry –level positions (cashiers, sales associates, stock jobs etc.) require applicants to attend one interview on-site, and one preliminary interview, on the phone. However, job-seekers applying for management positions may participate in several screenings. Many Kmart employees secure their positions by following up consistently after applying. It usually takes around a month to receive hiring consideration from Kmart. Typical interviews have a one-on-one format, where basic questions related to job experience, education and history are brought up. (more information on www.Kmart application.com)
Kmart is always interested in hiring friendly and enthusiastic associates that can provide superior customer care. You should always speak highly of your former co-workers and bosses, because disparaging remarks may reflect poorly on your work ethic.
- When you go for an interview, keep in mind the particular job that you are seeking to get and dress appropriately. A business or business casual dress code is the best choice. Don’t wear jeans or sloppy shirts. Wear regular shoes not tennis shoes. Make sure that all clothing is clean and unwrinkled with no tears or stains.
- Double check your breath and appearance of cleanliness. You are applying to be a visual representative of Kmart and Sears. “Look” the part. Clean hands, combed hair and minimal make-up is always noticed.
- Speak politely and in a friendly tone when you meet any employee even if they are not going to be your boss. It is common for an hourly employee to walk you to the supervisor or store manager for your interview. After you have left, the associate is asked for his or her input about your personality and mannerisms.
- Give examples on your application form of things that you have done as a “team player” that you are proud of doing. If this is playing on a sports team where you shared the win with another player or in an office where you and another member of the office worked together on a special project, mention it. Then, during your first interview mention a second “team” experience that you feel good about. Show the interviewer that the incident on the application was not an “accident”.
- If you are interested in being promoted to management at some point, express that desire in your initial interview. Request that your interviewer suggest a path for you to follow to create that goal. Be prepared to learn about marketing techniques and supervising methods on your own time in college classes or online.
- Let the interviewer know what seminars you have attended and which ones you feel are valuable to any position at Kmart.
- Be prepared to answer the question: What can you add to the Kmart team if you are hired? This may be phrased as “Why do you want to work at Kmart?” In both cases, the interviewer wants to know how much you know about the company and how you will contribute to the environment.
Check out the Kmart website for community volunteer activities that are held in your area. Either go to one of them or read about those in other areas. If there are some that you would like to suggest as a community activity for the Kmart store to which you are interviewing, make mention of it during your interview. This is especially true for stores or areas that have no active community interaction. Think out of the box and suggest collaborating with other stores in the mall or immediate vicinity for a volunteer activity.
Frequently Asked Kmart Interview Questions
We believe that there are no 100% ‘correct’ answers when it comes to Interview questions. Of course, there are the interview answers that hiring staff wants to hear, but you should always choose honesty over this. Hiring managers appreciate individuals who are truthful and correct. If you want to check out some interview answers you should look for career pages and job forums. Here are some of the frequently asked Kmart Careers job interview questions:
- Why are you interested in Kmart employment?
- How flexible is your schedule? Are you available during holidays/nights/weekends?
- How would you define customer service?
- Why should we hire you?
- What would you do if a client asked for a discount?
- Tell me about a time when you exceeded your manager’s expectations.
- What would you do if you caught one of your co-workers stealing from the store?
- How would you resolve a situation with a disgruntled customer?
- If the phone was ringing, your manager would be beeping you and you had a customer at the desk at the same time, what would you do first?
- Do you have any experience in the sales environment?
Official site: www.kmart career.com
Benefits at Kmart
For entry-level, hourly employees who are scheduled more than 32 hours a week on a regular basis, benefits include health insurance, paid holidays, paid vacation and sick time off. For management level positions, there are additional benefits including profit sharing, company travel reimbursement, and retirement plans. Benefits vary according to position, location, and qualifications for benefits.
Full list of Kmart Career Benefits:
- PPO or HMO plans – include coverage for office visits, emergency room hospital services, mental health/substance abuse treatment and prescription drugs.
- Medical and dental plan
- Health care flexible spending account
- Accidental death & dismemberment insurance (AD & D)
- Short and long term disability insurance
- Sick time and Paid leave
- Business travel accident insurance
- Resources for living – confidential counseling
- Starbridge choices benefits
- Pre-tax payroll deductions for health care expenses
- Paid time off
- 401 (K) savings retirement plan
- Associate stock purchase plan
- Discounts in-store
- Opportunity for retirees to obtain discounts on products
As is expected, part-time employees have fewer benefits than full-time associates. Management level members have more benefits than entry-level employees. For the adventurous and upward mobile executive, the advantages of international experience expand their value as an employee. To grab this opportunity, submit a Kmart application online form at the link provided below.
Official site: www.big kmart.com
Useful and Interesting Facts about Kmart
Knowledge has always been power and in this economy, knowledge about the company where you are trying to get hired is more powerful than ever. With the competition for good jobs and productive careers, applicants need to enter their first interview with as much information about the company as possible. The more you know about the company and industry, the better your chances of getting to the next interview. Having bits of information about the company can give you the edge that makes the difference when the final decisions are made. Here are some useful and interesting facts about the company that you can work into your interviews.
Sears Holding Corp is planning to close a total of 173 stores including 66 Kmart stores across the country in 2012. Sears is also planning to convert some of the other stores under its umbrella into Kmart stores.
Kmart collaborated in support of and with March of Dimes in 2011 to raise over $100 million for March of Dimes. Kmart has been given an award for its efforts by the charity.
Kmart started selling Sears appliances at many of its stores and have expanded 978 stores to include in-store pharmacies.
One of the latest innovations that Kmart is providing its customers is the ability to order products online and pick them up at their local stores. The program is called “mygofer” and there is a link on the Kmart site for customers to use.
Kmart has really scored with Starbuck’s Best Coffee as of February 2012. Kmart will have the exclusive big box store license to sell the coffee at its stores.
Kmart and Sears Holding Corporation are in a conversion mode as they re-brand the Kmart appeal. During this transition, many stores under the holding company will be closed and others will be converted to meet the needs of communities.
Fill Out a KMart Application Online: Apply NOW!
Fill out a KMart application online and browse all the available jobs. To access the Kmart Online Application online to apply now, click here (for Kmart jobs.com).
With this we end our guide for Kmart jobs in USA and Kmart online application tips. We hope that you will find this information useful. Even if you don’t land a job from your first attempt you shouldn’t give up hope. There are plenty of stores that you can apply for like those from MY, PA, NY, Hawaii, Ohio, Michigan etc. For more information about new employment opportunities and job requirements frequently check the www kmart.jobs.com website. You will find that employment in this line of work is extremely rewarding.
Here are some other job applications you may be interested in: