Employment at JCPenney
JCPenney is a nationwide company in the process of reinventing their image in the United States. If you want to be a part of this company’s journey, now is a wonderful time to apply for a multitude of positions. The guide below will walk you through the JCPenney application process.
If you are ready to apply, the online JCPenney application is available on their website. Look for a position that sounds like it matches your interests. Also, use the following steps to submit your application.
JCPenney Online Job Application
JCPenney has changed their online application to make it easier to get the paperwork out of the way so that you can focus on your interview. Before starting your JCPenney application, have the following documents on-hand:
- State ID;
- Social Security number;
- 3 professional references.
Once on the JCPenney careers page, you can look through their available jobs. Their website is streamlined into two categories: in-store and corporate jobs. After browsing through both categories, hopefully you will see one or more positions you would like to apply for. You can submit multiple applications online for different jobs.
JCPenney’s job descriptions are concisely written, so be sure to read them carefully when deciding which jobs to apply for. When you are ready, select the Apply for This Job button at the bottom of the page. The site will direct you to another screen that lists the job description again, you will select the yellow Apply for This Job button at the bottom of the screen to move to the next step.
The JCPenney application will prompt you to register for a JCPenney account using a username, email address and password. You will also need to enter your contact information on the registration screen.
The JCPenney Account
Once you activate your account you will be able to check the status of your application, complete documents, and apply for other positions with JCPenney. However, once your account is created, you will have access to the application.
- Once you have accepted the terms, you will need to complete a pre-qualification screening. This is a series of questions that will determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position you want.
- If you meet the minimum requirements, you will be able to move to the next step in your application. For most jobs, this is as simple as verifying your age.
- You will need your resume to complete the next step. You can cut and paste information from your resume into the website, or you can attach your resume to your application. You also now have the option to import employment information directly from your Indeed, Google+, or LinkedIn profiles by selecting one of the options under Provide us with your resume.
- As with any application that imports data from a document or web form, you always want to double-check the information to make sure everything is correct.
- JCPenney next requires you to submit your social security number, name, address, and phone numbers. You must complete each required field to move to the next screen in the application.
- You will be asked why you are leaving your present job if you currently have one.
- Next, you will need to enter your availability and scheduling options using a box selection screen. Check the boxes of all day and time-frames you are willing to work.
Minimum Requirements to Work for JCPenney
There are a few basic requirements to become a JCPenney employee:
- You must be at least 16 years old for retail positions, 18 for corporate positions;
- You must have proper identification valid in the United States;
- You must have a social security number.
There may be additional requirements for some jobs listed at the bottom of each job posting (most common for corporate positions).
JCPenney Working Hours
Your JCPenney work schedule will depend on your availability and the job you are applying for. Retail positions will depend on the store hours. Also, corporate positions will depend on when the office is open.
Additional hours and overtime may be required on weekends and holidays depending on your position and the needs of your location.
The income you can expect depends entirely on the position for which you apply.
- The average hourly rates for most positions in retail is between $9-12 per hour depending on your state. Salaries for store positions range from 26-35K per year.
- Salaries for corporate positions average 39-50K per year. Your salary will depend on your experience and education level upon employment.
- JCPenney also offers internships for college students. These internships are unpaid. But JCPenney works with higher education institutions to ensure college credits for your time.
Other Careers with JCPenney
JCPenney has different career options as listed on their careers page. These careers are divided into in-store and corporate positions. Most in-store positions are sales or customer service careers. Corporate positions vary in nature and expectations.
- Retail: As a JCPenney retail associate or manager, you will be one of the first people to interact with customers upon entering the store. Retail positions require high attention to detail, customer service skills, and sometimes require sales techniques to be successful in your department.
- Supply-Chain: JCPenney also has open positions for their warehouses and field operations departments. These positions are responsible for ensuring merchandise storing, delivery, and quality.
JCPenney’s corporate offices run everything from merchandising to information technology and marketing. These positions require an elevated level of professionalism and may require higher education and prior experience. JCPenney’s corporate culture is focused on re-imaging the company as a diverse workplace that highly values employee satisfaction and retention.
- College Internships: JCPenney offers internships in the following categories: design, supply chain, stores, information technology, finance, and merchandising.
- Salon: Positions with JCPenney salons will require certification in your desired skill area. Salon positions require the same prominent level of customer service that in-store retail positions entail.
- Military/Veteran Support: JCPenney advertises that they pride themselves on prioritizing hiring military veterans and their family members.
Some of the careers listed above require special questionnaires or quizzes to make sure you have the skills needed to perform your job properly. You will be able to see if the job you want requires this once you enter the application for that specific position.
To finish and submit your JCPenney application, you need to make sure all fields are completed. Any incomplete fields will highlight in red and appear at the top of your screen before proceeding. Once you submit your application, you can expect a formal interview process that may involve group interviews, or multiple rounds of interviews in person or via phone. Most JCPenney positions are stationary in one store or one office location. Some positions may require travel or occasional transfers depending on company needs.
Basic Tips for Applying for JCPenney
- The JCPenney application requires that you submit most of your logistical information with your online application.
- Make sure that all your answers to any questionnaires are complete and honest. This will make the process go smoothly down the line.
- Some positions may ask you for a cover letter to describe your past experiences and your desire to work with JCPenney. Be sure to highlight all relevant experience, starting with your most recent work.
- When contacted for an interview, prepare to answer questions regarding scheduling, flexibility, ability to deal with challenging customers, working with a team within a department setting, and your ability to learn new skills quickly.
Benefits of Working for JCPenney
JCPenney is a competitive retail company that understands the importance of keeping up with a changing world. As an employee, you will be joining at a unique time for this company as they are giving their image a major make-over. JCPenney offers frequent promotions from within, and there is sufficient room for career advancement in all departments.
JCPenney has a unique warrior culture that they have recently unveiled as they work to give their corporate image a much-needed update. Employees can expect to be fully indoctrinated into this culture that emphasizes the importance of teamwork, diversity, and commitment. This high-energy office culture plan ensures that employees feel like they are a part of the team that is moving the company forward, not just workers collecting a paycheck.
Frequently Asked JCPenney Applicant Questions
Some of the most usual questions from JCPENNEY applicants are answered below as you complete your JCPenney application.
- Can I apply for JCPenney jobs in person? JCPenney does not accept paper applications. All interested applicants are directed to apply online. The online application is faster and allows the company to review and match candidates with open positions more efficiently than a paper application system.
- Is there room to move up within JCPenney? It is recommended that you stay in your current JCPenney position for 12-18 months before applying for a new position. But applications for new positions within the company are welcome after that time. If you are leaving your current position, you will need a manager’s approval to move to a different department. Managers are notified when their employees apply for new positions. So it is advised to discuss these moves with your manager prior to applying.
- What happens after I apply? A hiring manager or HR member will contact you via email or phone to ask any follow up questions or set you up for an interview.
- Who is eligible for an internship with JCPenney? Any college student with junior or senior status and a 3.0 GPA is eligible to apply for an internship. JCPenney offers a unique internship program that can lead to acceptance into their trainee program upon graduation with a 4-year degree. JCPenney interns are also placed into a mentorship program as part of the internship experience.
Working for JCPenney
JCPenney is a fast-expanding company focused on re-vamping their image to match the needs of a changing society. Also, JCPenney is a leading retailer of everything from clothing to household appliances. With positions ranging from retail associate to IT developers, there is something for every skill and experience level. JCPenney has a strong college internship program with a unique curriculum and mentor experience. The company offers a streamlined entry into their trainee program for college graduates who complete a JCPenney internship.
JCPenney advertises a warrior culture that promotes teamwork, commitment, initiative, drive, and tenacity. These company values are consistent and a large part of becoming a member of the JCPenney team. The company promotes their innovative working culture on their careers website, complete with testimonials and videos.
JCPENNEY employees have access to multiple opportunities for career advancement and professional growth both within and across departments. The company encourages open and honest conversations with management about your career goals and interests. It also recommends you work in one position for one year prior to applying for a new position with the company. The company offers employee mentors to help facilitate their warrior culture to maintain employee satisfaction. If working for a company that values diversity, commitment, and teamwork is important to you, a position with JCPenney may just be the next step you are looking for.
To discover other popular job applications read here: