Employment with GrubHub
GrubHub is a leader in the food delivery industry. GrubHub takes on more food delivery traffic than any other such platform. Operating through the web and mobile app, GrubHub is looking to expand their delivery team as their popularity grows around the United States. In addition to hiring food delivery personnel, the company employs individuals to work in their offices in 13 cities around the country, and in London, UK.
You can deliver for GrubHub using a car, bicycle, or even a motorbike! Regardless of how you get around, GrubHub would love to pay you to help get food from favorite restaurants to their hungry customers. The guide below will help you create a successful GrubHub application and begin an exciting new job.
GrubHub Online Job Application
If you are ready to apply to deliver for GrubHub, their application is found on their website. GrubHub hires on a rolling basis in cities around the country, and they are continually expanding.
After navigating to the GrubHub driver page, you will need to enter some preliminary information to create your account. You must start here to begin your Grubhub application.
First, you must enter your name, email, and phone number. Next, select your city. If you do not see your city listed, that means Grubhub isn’t currently accepting drivers in your area. You can check back periodically to see if your city appears on the drop-down list. These lists change daily as demand changes, so keep checking!
One you select your city, you must then indicate if you will deliver using a car, motorbike, or a bicycle. The site will ask you how you heard about them and direct you to accept their communication terms (you can unsubscribe later) before you move to the next screen.
Once your account is created, you will be inside of the GrubHub application. You must select what type of phone you have. GrubHub operates using a mobile app. So, you will need a modern phone with IOS7 or Android 4.0 to use the driver app.
After Creating the Account
The GrubHub application will then ask you a few questions to gauge your interest in the company. Make sure you are comfortable working directly with restaurants and customers, and you indicate this on the application. You will need to write a quick paragraph describing why you want to work for GrubHub. You should show your desire to work with new people, restaurants, and be a part of the growing company.
After you answer all the screening questions, you will be able to move to the next page of the application. This page is where you will create your driver profile. You will enter your contact information, followed by your identification and driver’s licensing information if applicable. You must upload a photo of your driver’s license using either a web browser or a mobile device.
The GrubHub application will then move you through the next few stages of your profile. There, you will:
- Select the delivery equipment you will use;
- Set up a direct deposit account;
- Authorize your background check;
- Provide vehicle information;
- Complete tax forms.
Make sure each field is filled in completely and correctly. Any missing fields will prevent your application from going through. Once you submit your application and profile information, your background check will initiate. This can take 1-3 days on average.
Once you pass the background check, your agreement with GrubHub begins, and you can start the onboarding process. You will need to attend an in-person onboarding session with a GrubHub representative before you start working. You will then be able to lease or buy your delivery supplies and start delivering.
Minimum Requirements to Work for GrubHub
There are a handful of needs for GrubHub drivers. These requirements are designed to make sure your experience working for the company goes as smoothly as possible. You must meet these requirements before you apply.
- 19 years old or more (21 years or more in Chicago);
- 2 or more years of driving experience;
- Own an iPhone with iOS 8 or higher OR an Android with 4.0 or higher (data plans recommended);
- If using a car, valid driver’s license and auto insurance;
- If using a bike, valid state ID;
- Checking account for direct deposit;
- Ability to pass a comprehensive background check.
If you meet these requirements and your city is hiring, you should expect the process to be complete within a week or so.
The one thing that can prevent you from being approved to work for GrubHub is the background check. The following items go through an examination during your background check process. Please note that this may result in your application being denied.
The Driving Record Check:
- DUI, reckless driving, or driving with a suspended license offense;
- Aged 18 or older with 2+ years driving experience;
- Incidents in the last three years from newer drivers;
- More than two moving violations.
The Background Check:
- Violent crimes;
- Sexual offenses;
- Property damage;
If your record is clear of these items, you should have no issue with your application.
There are no model, year, or cosmetic requirements for your vehicle to deliver for GrubHub. If your car is in decent working order and will safely get you from one place to another, you can use it to work for GrubHub.
GrubHub Working Hours
GrubHub drivers set their working schedule to an extent. You must select either a three or six-hour shift when you begin working. A dispatcher handles which restaurants you are sent to. Consequenlty, you only pick up the food from the restaurant and deliver it to customers.
If you are considering a corporate position with GrubHub, you will work a set schedule as the office for which you work determines. These hours may include day or evening shifts depending on the nature of your position. Support staff may be required to work nights and weekends.
The salary you can expect when working for GrubHub depends on when you work and where you work. Drivers are paid weekly on Thursdays. Pay rates are calculated using a courier base pay + distance (per mile) + tips. Busier cities pay drivers more regarding base pay and mileage. Also, prices can fluctuate during peak hours. Factoring in an average income can be challenging with the inclusion of tips. However, a widely accepted average hourly courier rate is $11-13 per hour.
Corporate positions are salaried and include company benefits. Salaries vary by city and position, but you can find them on their corporate website. Note that this link is separate from the GrubHub application for drivers.
Other Careers with GrubHub
Grubhub offers salaried positions in the following categories:
- Business development;
- Business operations;
- Corporate accounts;
- Customer care;
- People team;
- Restaurant Network;
Basic Tips for Applying with GrubHub
- The GrubHub application is simple and based on your availability and your area’s need. Therefore, the hiring process is relatively stress-free for most. When you are completing your request, be sure to describe yourself as an energetic, friendly person who enjoys meeting new people and exploring unfamiliar places.
- Outgoing personalities usually do the best when working for GrubHub. The job also involves lots of flexibility in a variety of situations. Your job is not merely to interact with customers; you must be a pleasant point of contact for restaurants as well.
- Sometimes restaurants may be late preparing an order, and the driver must find a way to maintain a positive interaction with both the restaurant and the hungry customer. Communication is typically the key in these situations to make sure everyone is happy.
- The company’s mission is to move eating forward by allowing customers to have food delivered from more places than they have in the past. The goal in each city is to secure as many participating restaurants as possible. The best way to do this is to ensure that the delivery drivers in each area can maintain positive relationships with the restaurants and customers.
- During your onboarding session, you will want to pay attention to the equipment requirements. You should weigh your options carefully before you buy or lease your delivery equipment from the company.
Benefits of Working for GrubHub
While many view GrubHub as a natural or temporary way to make money, there are some things to consider financially when you are considering filling out a GrubHub application.
GrubHub drivers can set their schedules. Most people are drawn to this aspect of the job. However, others enjoy the ability to make money while meeting new people and exploring new parts of their cities.
Drivers are considered independent contractors, which means that the company is not required to offer benefits to their drivers. Corporate office employees are eligible for health and retirement benefits in addition to opportunities to advance within the enterprise.
Frequently Asked GrubHub Application Questions
Here are some common GrubHub application questions and their answers.
- Is there an in-person application? At the current time, the only way to apply to deliver for GrubHub is to sign up using the website. Following the directions given above will help you get started on a successful GrubHub application.
- If I applied before to deliver for GrubHub and didn’t meet requirements, but I meet them now, am I able to re-apply? You will need to contact support staff by email to get assistance with re-opening your application. If your request can’t be re-opened, they will help you create a new one.
- Do I have to have previous delivery experience? GrubHub is looking for passionate, outgoing people to join their delivery teams. If you complete the application, describe yourself as a great people-person, and can pass the background check, you shouldn’t have a difficult time starting your new position with GrubHub.
Working for GrubHub
GrubHub is a fantastic opportunity for those looking for flexible income using their method of transportation. Those who enjoy meeting new people, working with customers, and traveling may enjoy working for GrubHub. The company offers corporate positions for those looking for non-delivery options in a variety of categories.
GrubHub is one of the most popular meal delivery platforms available to date, and their range is growing every day. Even if GrubHub isn’t widely available in your area right now, you can expect to see them expand there soon!
If working with a fast-growing company and providing excellent customer service, as well as being able to set your schedule and travel through your city sounds like an excellent opportunity, then starting your GrubHub application today will get you on your way!
To discover other popular job applications read here: