We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Employment at GameStop
GameStop, a Fortune 500 company, is the world’s largest video games retailer that offers games, hardware and accessories for all major gaming platforms including computers, consoles and mobile devices (customers can buy, sell or trade their games). From its corporate headquarters in Grapevine, Texas, GameStop operates 6,627 company stores in the United States (example: California, NJ, NYC, Florida etc.) and 16 other countries including Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom. In addition, the company operates a browser-based game website called Kongregate (which has over 14 million monthly users), Game Informer magazine and a company called Spawn Labs that develops streaming technology. GameStop careers offer a wide number of opportunities, and the potential for career growth with the chance to work overseas makes a GameStop job application a great step in your working future.
The company is highly successful and offers a great opportunity for steady employment in a challenging, yet fun work environment. If you feel like video games, gaming systems, gaming accessories and trends are things you enjoy dealing with on a daily basis, or already are a huge part of your life and you specialize in, GameStop is always the place that is glad to find passionate individuals to share their love for all things related to video games.
As long as you have customer service and sales abilities and you can prove it, GameStop jobs can end up fulfilling most gamers’ dreams – being in the midst of the gaming world in a very first-hand experience. Mixing your hobbies with a promising career has never been easier.
GameStop Online Job Application
Considering all the openings currently listed on the GameStop website, there is a lot for you to choose from. Hundreds of retail stores from all over the United States occasionally look for new employees for various fields and with different schedules. You can find anything from part time retail jobs and up to management positions; all the active openings can be found on the GameStop online application link and there is a very high chance you will find a suitable job for your needs.
A GameStop job application form is available online at the company website for vacant positions in any location in the United States including the corporate headquarters. To search for job vacancies, you can either select all listings, listings by category (i.e. Accounting and Finance, Distribution, Sales/Game Advisor, Store Management, Store Operations, Loss Prevention, etc.) or narrow your search by choosing both category and location by state. Each job listing contains detailed information on the job location, employment type (full time or part time), job description, job duties and responsibilities along with required education, work experience and qualifications. At the bottom of the webpage is an “Apply” (app) section to submit your GameStop jobs and employment form.
To join the talent pool for potential future Store Manager positions, you can also submit a resume via the company website for consideration (the resume will be held on file for 2 years). If applying for a Keyholder or Game Advisor position in a store, there are application and background forms on the website that can be printed, completed and taken directly to a local store.
Minimum Age for Employment at GameStop
To be eligible to work at GameStop in the United States, you must be at least 16 years old. During your GameStop application, you will be required to indicate that you are of an eligible age to work for the company. Keep this in mind before you fill out your GameStop application!
GameStop Hours of Operation
The hours of operation for GameStop stores varies from one location to another, particularly when the store is located in a shopping mall where the hours of operation are set by the management of the mall. Typically the stores are open by 10am and close around 9pm (except Sundays where the stores normally open later and close earlier). These hours mean that your GameStop online application can lead to a flexible work schedule. To confirm the hours of operation of a local store, click on the “Find A Store” link at the top of the website and search for the applicable store which will display their operating hours.
Entry-Level GameStop Careers and Income
Available GameStop careers: game advisor, warehouse expert, key holder, assistant manager, game manager, store manager, hardware tech, refurb trainer, retail agent, employee relations supervisor, maintenance associate, inventory control supervisor, sales advisor, lead loss prevention agent, loss prevention investigator, multi-unit manager, district manager, Customer care representative – some of these jobs are also available for summer or seasonal employment.
An application for GameStop for entry-level positions, such as a Game Advisor, will begin at least at the minimum wage for your state (each state has their own designated minimum wage law). Entry-level positions at a GameStop store are listed in the position vacancies and the GameStop application as “Sales/Game Advisor” and will be either a full-time or part-time position.
The job description and duties for this entry-level position will include customer service, merchandising, loss prevention and store operations. GameStop will provide all required training to conduct the required daily activities and meet all requirements of company policy and procedure to ensure the store runs effectively and profitably.
Passion for gaming is only the beginning. Even for entry-level positions you would be earning at least $10 an hour for doing something that revolves around your interests, considering you wouldn’t be just stacking shelves and operating the POS – knowing facts about the games themselves and communicating with the customers on the same level is always the key to success in such a job.
Spending time as a sales or game advisor also teaches you plenty things that you might not have known before about the trade. The current GameStop job openings listed in the entry-level retail section of the company are of Senior Game Advisor.
As a Senior Game Advisor it is your job to assist the store’s management team in all activities concerning the store and providing friendly, open and enthusiastic service to customers – both in person and via telephone.
That entails answering questions and assisting our customers with product selection, the purchase process, return policies or other concerns they might have. Along with this, you would also be responsible of assistance with store merchandising, restocking, inventory control, loss prevention, store cleaning and maintenance.
Right now, the GameStop website is listing openings for both Assistant Store Manager as well as Store Manager positions.
Assistant Store Manager: Your primary function as an Assistant Store Manager is to support the Store Manager in all manners of store operations such as ensuring the proper development of store staff customer service – meaning that the staff provides friendly, open and enthusiastic customer service and attend to their responsibilities properly. On top of that, you have to ensure that the store is clean, well-organized, properly stocked and merchandised at all times and that the activity within it is being performed smoothly. You would be in charge of supervising up to 5 or more Game Advisors by planning, organizing and delegating work to them.
To some extent you could say that this is your first step towards a Management career. Spending some time in an assistant manager position, you get a good opportunity to learn and understand how things work in a retail store business and how to run a successful business in general.
Store Manager: As the Store Manager, you are in charge of things of greater scale – applying the authority invested in you with the position and by using traditional management functions and influential leadership, the Store Manager will determine the way the performance of everyone who interacts with customers and supports the store environment will progress. Everything regarding making discretionary decisions involving sales initiatives, operational effectiveness, marketing, scheduling, hiring, or otherwise – firing, falls into the set of responsibilities of the Store Manager, along with many other aspects that need to be taken care of in the day-to-day business processes of the store.
GameStop Careers in Management
Your GameStop employment application opens up a great opportunity for career development and growth. As part of their talent acquisition program, the company offers extensive training and development opportunities and has a strong employee retention focus with the aim of promoting from within to develop a strong and focused team culture. In addition, GameStop also looks to bring in highly-talented individuals from outside the company to further develop the strength and entrepreneurial skills of their workforce.
So regardless of whether you are an internal or external candidate, by submitting a GameStop application online, you are assured of being provided the best training possible to equip you with the skills to provide excellent customer service and run an efficient and profitable store along with benefits that suit your level of experience and ability.
A management career with GameStop may start as an Assistant Store Manager or in a full Store Manager role. As a Store Manager you are expected to work varied store hours and the salary of the position typically ranges from $28,000 to $55,000 per year plus sales bonuses. Total salary and compensation is dependent on your level of experience and the applicable cost of living for your location.
Official website: careers.gamestop.com
Basic Tips for Applying at GameStop
- From the GameStop website, click on the “Careers” link at the bottom of the webpage and then select either all listings, listings by category (i.e. Sales/Game Advisor, Store Management, Store Operations, etc.) or narrow your search by choosing both category and a location by state (or you can go straight to the careers page using this link www.gamestop.com/careers).
- The list of job vacancies near your location will be displayed including the specific location of the games stores where the job is vacant. Click on a job listing link to view the job description, responsibilities, work experience, education and qualifications that are required for the position.
- To submit a GameStop application form for a vacant position, you can click on the applicable “Apply” link at the bottom of the job description (there are two links, the first is for new resumes, the second is if you have previously set up a job account on the website that includes your personal details and an existing resume). For new resumes, you will be requested to upload or copy the resume.
- You will then complete a series of online forms with your contact information, job preferences, work authorization status (eligible to work in the United States, 16 years or older, etc.), education, profile attachments (such as a cover letter), resume content and equal employment opportunity information.
- Complete all the required information and submit the application to start your new career at GameStop.
- Considering you will most likely be applying to any GameStop job using the GameStop online application form, you could use this to your advantage to reduce your mistakes to zero and start off with a flawless application.
- Just like you should do with any job application in general, try to answer to all the questions asked as truthfully as you can, as you will be asked to verify the information provided if you get called in for an interview.
- It’s never a bad idea to take a printed off copy of your completed application just in case before you head out for the interview if you get called in; the online form also has a printable version option so it’s an easy job to get it done directly. If you do get called for an interview, you might want to check out the latest news and events from the gaming world as quizzes are not an unusual thing to take place during the interview.
- There are two things that a GameStop job would be looking for: either passion for gaming or drive and determination to learn things about gaming. While the ideal employee is the game lover, anyone willing to be initiated and eventually learn everything there is to learn about gaming is never ruled out and still has a great shot at any of the GameStop jobs.
Advanced Tips for Applying at GameStop
If your GameStop application is for a management role or more senior position outside of a store role, your application is likely to include a requirement for additional information such as a pre-employment questionnaire to obtain additional information on your work experience. Otherwise, for all management applications, you should submit a resume to highlight your work experience and achievements.
If you do not already have a resume, templates can be obtained online or from word processor programs. The basics of a resume should include your contact information, work experience, skills, education, qualifications and your reference contacts in a professional-looking format. Make the information you submit as relevant as possible to the position you are applying for to ensure the recruiters can see straight away that you are the right person for the job!
Having a broad overview of what a GameStop store is all about will help considerable amounts when trying to obtain a position within the company. A store is never just a place where exchanges happen, but instead it is a hugely interactive business that requires a lot of effort and dedication to make it work. In a sales or game advisor role you wouldn’t be just a store employee, you would, in essence, be a gaming guru.
Even gaming has its own specializations. Being aware of what your proficiency is and openly bringing it up will not only give you an advantage during an interview but also allow your employers to understand what subject you would shine most in. No GameStop store expect any applicant to be well versed in every single video game type, console model or the entire history of gaming, but any particular specialization will be appreciated.
Even if this is GameStop we are talking about, known for the laid back atmosphere, do not forget what you were called in for – a job interview. All basic rules for any interview still apply here as well. A clever mix of formal and an attitude that politely shows off your passion for games is most likely a key to success. The application status of can be checked with a short phone-call or visit to the store, or by accessing your dashboard online.
Find out more on: www. gamestop.com
Benefits at GameStop
A successful GameStop application provides you with a wide variety of benefits that add to the fun casual environment of working in a place that revolves around video games. You receive a 15% discount for in-store purchases along with other benefits that include a 401(k) retirement plan, paid holiday, competitive pay, medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, paid vacation, sick leave, disability benefits (company paid), tuition reimbursement and, where applicable, sales bonuses. In addition, you will receive training and work experience that will allow you to continue your career development and the ability to apply for other positions within the company or seek promotion and employment opportunities to management positions.
GameStop Interview Tips & Hiring Process Information
If you are selected for the next phase – more specifically, the interview – there are a few things to take into consideration. Preparing for the interview phase at GameStop is as important as it would be for any other job interview despite the laid back atmosphere and environment you would be heading in if you get selected.
- As it has been mentioned before, knowledge of systems and games in general is the most important thing to think of before you head in. Thoroughly consider what your strengths in this topic are and make sure you are up to date with the latest news and additions to the platform and gaming world. It is not unusual for interviewers to ask you about your favorite video game series, consoles and characters or even ask you of your opinion on certain trends, gameplay or graphics.
- Apart from your gaming knowledge, the classic interview questions that you would get in any other job interview will be present as well. Questions such as “Where do you see yourself in five years?”, “Why do you want to work at GameStop?” or “What do you think makes you suitable for this position?” are very likely to pop up at different stages of the interview.
- If you apply for entry-level positions or even the Assistant Manager one, there is chance that your organizing and stocking abilities will be tested through various exercises.
- Don’t lie during the interview. The company has probably already done a verification of your background. The company has already stated that untrustworthy applicants are not wanted.
- As it is however, working in a GameStop store will still require a considerable amount of customer service and decision making skills. Throughout the interview, you might face situational questions in which you are put in a particular scenario and asked to describe how you would react to a particular predicament, how you would prioritize your duties or how you would deal with difficult and/or delicate circumstances.
Frequently Asked GameStop Interview Questions
When it comes to showing your value to your interviewers, it is advised to let them know what you can do for them and how you can make a great addition to the team; try to stand out and make yourself look good through your abilities and game knowledge. Be honest though as you will be dealing with and answering video game questions in reality most of your time if you do get selected for a game or sales advisor position. And in that case, it will happen with real people in real life scenarios; the key to good business in GameStop is honesty when dealing with your customers as well. There is not much use in advertising a game your customers would not enjoy.
Other possible questions you could be faced with during a GameStop interview are:
- What do you think are the most important qualities you should have to get a job in GameStop?
- Are you available on weekends?
- What do you think makes GameStop successful with its customers?
- How long do you plan to work for GameStop?
- What is your previous experience in retail industry?
- What would you do if your replacement was late to work?
- Are you familiar with the employee handbook?
- If you are with a customer and your manager needs you, how would you divide your attention?
- Would you offer customers discounts if they were not satisfied with your services?
- What is IT? What is the EPIC customer service?
We don’t believe that there are any correct interview answers. Each person has his/her own personality and must give answers that reflect his/her work ethic.
This concludes our guide for GameStop careers. If you are interested in jobs at various locations in assistant or managing positions you can find out more information on the official website (gamestop.com). You can also find the PDF version of the application form directly at the store or online. Lastly, online review and job-specific websites should give you more information about the interview and hiring experience. This will make it a lot easier to get hired.
Useful and Interesting Facts about GameStop
Before you attend an interview with GameStop, it will really benefit you to know some useful information and facts about the company so you can display some knowledge of their operations and show you are interested in the company. You can then also discuss how your experience and skills fit into the business and how they can help contribute to the success of the company. This will greatly help you during the interview process to impress the interviewers. You can find a lot of information about the history and corporate culture of GameStops from their website (click on the “Corporate” link at the bottom of their main webpage) along with other internet resources. Some useful information includes:
• GameStop was formed in 1996 as a small software retailer in Texas called Babbage’s. A series of mergers lead the company to be known as Babbage’s Etc. LLC.
• The company was sold to Barnes and Noble in 1999 and was renamed GameStop in 2000.
• In 2004, GameStop left Barnes and Noble through a buyback of 6 million shares.
• In 2005, GameStop purchased competitor Electronics Boutique (EB Games).
• In 2007, GameStop purchased Rhino Video Games (then owned by Blockbuster).
• GameStop operates 6,627 company owned stores in 17 countries.
• The culture of the company is customer centered, with a competitive mindset, hands-on leadership and one that sees change as an opportunity.
Submitting an application to work for GameStop is a step to a great career with a lot of potential for career development and growth. Apart from the benefits the company offers, you also get to work in a fun, team-oriented video games environment!
To access the GameStop Online Application directly, click here.
Here are some other interesting job applications: