Employment at Food 4 Less
Food 4 Less is an American warehouse store grocery chain, owned by the Kroger company. The chain was founded in the 1930s, and the first stores were located in Kansas and Missouri. The Food 4 Less stores were conceived as warehouses in which the products were stacked in their original packages and the items were not individually displayed. A trait of Food 4 Less warehouses is the fact that customers bag the groceries on their own at the checkout. Food 4 Less stores offer their customers a great variety of fresh vegetable and fruits, beef, poultry, seafood, and even bakery products. Most of the products are sold in bulk, and the stores also offer various promotions and discounts to their customers. Customers can also find floral sections in Food 4 Less stores, which offer a great variety of flowers and arrangements. Customers can also find their favorite home products in the stores, such as house cleaners, as well as small appliances and even pet supplies. Food 4 Less offers health and beauty products too in all its locations, with a full selection of hygiene products and even make-up. Over the counter medicine for the common cold or allergies is also available to customers, as well as many other types of products. Food 4 Less warehouses also offer bank services for Western Union customers.
They can do all the operations, like deposit and withdrawal, and they can also get help with their accounts. The prices Food 4 Less features are some of the lowest in the country, and the chain is considered to rank as the first warehouse grocery store in the United States.
Not all the stores are owned and operated by the company. Some of them are operated by other franchisees, although they are also large wholesale companies. The number of Food 4 Less stores is constantly growing, and the number of Food 4 Less employees is constantly growing, too.
Food 4 Less Application Process
Those interested in Food 4 Less careers have many Food 4 Less employment opportunities at their disposal. The easiest way of searching for Food 4 Less available positions is to do it online, on the company’s official site, www.food4less.com. There are two pages were candidates can find more information about Food 4 Less careers, here and here. The second page is dedicated to those who want to apply online for Food 4 Less careers, and the first one contains general information about how candidates can contact Food 4 Less stores and inquire about the available Food 4 Less jobs.
There are two ways of applying for Food 4 Less jobs. One way is to do it online, and the other is to write a resume and submit it directly at the store they are interested in. The Food 4 Less online application system is preferred by hiring managers, which can easily visualize all the candidates’ information, and the candidates should consider going through the online Food 4 Less application process. To apply for Food 4 Less careers, candidates need to first find the job they are interested in and they can do this by searching using keywords or the name of the city they want to work in.
Once they have found a job they might be interested in, they need to click on its title. They will be directed to the page containing the entire job description and the “Apply Online” button which they need to click in order to begin the Food 4 Less job application process.
The next step of the Food 4 Less application process requires candidates to provide their full name, address, and all the other names a candidate might have used. After completing this information, the candidates need to fill in information about their education and previous work experience. They can also list why they left that job, but this is not mandatory. The next part of the Food 4 Less application process consists of a few questions that the candidates need to answer, such as:
- How did you learn about this opportunity?
- Are you currently attending classes at any school/institution?
- What is the highest level of education you have completed?
- Have you ever worked for the Kroger Family of Companies or its subsidiaries? If so, please provide details.
- Have you ever worked for any other retail, manufacturing, or logistics companies in the past? If so, please provide details.
- Do you have any relatives who are employed by The Kroger Family of Companies, or its subsidiaries?
- Have you served in the United States Armed Forces?
- Have you, or has anyone under your supervision, been found to have violated a prohibition on selling tobacco to minors?
- In the next two fields, indicate your first and second choice for a department you would like to work. You may be contacted for opportunities in other departments as well.
The next part of the Food 4 Less jobs and employment form requires candidates to state their work availability, because the Food 4 Less locations operate seven days a week and many of the stores operate up to 24 hours a day. The questions the candidates need to answer are:
- What date are you available to start work?
- Are you able and willing to work evenings?
- Are you able and willing to work weekends?
- Will you be able and willing to work holidays?
- Indicate your availability for each day of the week.
The form also asks what type of employment wanted by the candidates, full-time or part-time, and when is it the best time to call. There are some other questions that need to be asked, this time regarding the working experience:
- How many different employers have you worked for in the past 3 years?
- Have you ever been terminated or asked to resign from a job? If yes, please describe.
- In any prior employment have you ever had cash shortages or misunderstandings about funds or assets?
- If yes, please describe.
The next part Food 4 Less jobs and employment form requires candidates to identify their age by answering a few related questions:
- Are you 18 years of age or older?
- Are you 19 years of age or older?
- Are you 21 years of age or older?
- After employment, can you submit verification of your legal right to work in the U.S.?
As part of the Food 4 Less hiring process, candidates who receive an offer of employment may be asked to submit to a drug screening test, and offers of employment are conditioned on a negative result. All drug tests will be conducted in accordance with applicable federal and state law. As a consequence, the candidates need to answer whether:
- Would you be willing to be screened for illegal drug use in the next 24 hours?
- If offered a position, would you be willing to submit to a criminal background check, a previous employment verification check, and/or an education verification check?
The next step of the Food 4 Less application process consists of an assessment questionnaire. The first part of this questionnaire asks candidates to voluntarily disclose information about their race. They can decline to do so. The assessment consists of a series of statements with which the candidates can agree or disagree. Some of them are:
- Taking frequent breaks from your work helps keep you refreshed and productive.
- I let others know of my success.
- I seek work that will get me noticed.
- My successes should be rewarded.
- It is sometimes difficult to stay positive in uncertain times.
- I am sometimes surprised when things go without a problem.
- I notice the negative aspects of my job.
- Friendships are unimportant at work.
- I do not expect to form friendships at work.
There are 80 statements in this assessment, and the time to complete it is around 15 minutes The last part of the Food 4 Less application process requires candidates to check their application steps and to electronically sign the jobs and employment form. Now the Food 4 Less application process is complete.
Minimum Age for Employment at Food 4 Less
The minimum age of employment at which a person can start working at Food 4 Less is 18, as it is made clear in the Food 4 Less job application form. Of course, some Food 4 Less jobs can only be obtained by people who are at least 21 years of age, usually because of various state regulations. But a lot of the Food 4 Less jobs can be obtained by 18 years old candidates. To make sure they are allowed to do a specific job, candidates do need to check this and see if there are any special age requirements they have to comply with.
Food 4 Less Hours of Operations
The Food 4 Less hours of operations are not the same throughout the country and some stores are opened for 24 hours a day. A Food 4 Less store usually opens at 6 in the morning and closes at 1 in the morning throughout the week. Some Food 4 Less stores can have slightly different schedules and this can be checked at the store were the candidate wants to apply.
Entry Level Food 4 Less Careers and Income
Food 4 Less careers are readily available since the company is always expanding. Food 4 Less careers are quite frequent, and many people can find available Food 4 Less jobs.
Some of the most frequent store Food 4 Less jobs are: Cashier, Retail Associate, Stock Associate, Produce Clerk, Bakery Clerk, Meat Cutter, Pharmacy Technician, Pharmacist, Assistant Manager, and Store Manager.
Retail Associate Job Description and Duties
These can be considered entry levels Food 4 Less jobs. Food 4 Less Retail Associates work in different store departments and their job requires them to interact with customers on a daily basis. The duties and responsibilities of a Food 4 Less Retail Associate can vary and may include:
- To prepare gourmet dishes, make sandwiches and serve various cheeses;
- To bake breads and cookies, and also to decorate cakes;
- To create merchandise displays and stock the shelves;
- To create floral arrangements;
- To cut and serve meats and seafood.
- To assist customers at checkout and bag groceries when needed.
There are no special requirements about education and previous work experience for this Food 4 Less job, and all candidates are subject to a drug screen and a background check before employment.
Food 4 Less Retail Associate Salary and Compensation
This entry level Food 4 Less job is hourly based and so is the pay. The minimum hourly wage for a Food 4 Less Bagger begins at $8, and can reach $22, depending on work experience and in what department of the store the retail associate works in. The more specialized the job is, the more the hourly pay increases. Of course, the weekly pay varies according to the actual number of hours worked, but this position allows Food 4 Less employees to increase their income by taking extra shifts.
Food 4 Less Careers in Management
Food 4 Less stores rely on experienced and qualified employees to manage the daily operations, so people with enough related working experience will many Food 4 Less careers in management. These type of Food 4 Less careers include Assistant Manager, and Store Manager. Usually, the company promotes in these positions its own employees, who are already familiar with the company’s rules, procedures, and specifics.
All employees benefit from the opportunity of professional growth within the company. Aside from this human resources strategy, Food 4 Less is also looking for candidates outside the company to fill these Food 4 Less careers.
Food 4 Less Assistant Manager Job Description and Duties
An Assistant Manager is in charge of many of the daily activities of the store and helps the Store Manager to keep everything in order. Food 4 Less Assistant Managers need to behave as role models towards other Food 4 Less employees and to demonstrate respect for the company’s values. There are other duties a Food 4 Less Assistant Manager has, such as:
- To assist the Store Manager with the recruiting, selecting, and managing of team members.
- To know the POS procedures, offer great customer service, and employ plus selling techniques.
- To comply with all the company’s policies, and also with the local, state, and federal laws and regulations, and to make sure that the team members do it as well.
- To assist with scheduling in order to minimize labor expenses, while making sure that the store has enough staff as the Labor Scheduling Program requires.
- To control losses and to increase profits.
- To assist with merchandize and supplies ordering and to maintain appropriate inventory levels.
- To accurately verify the delivery of all merchandise and supplies.
- To make sure that all items have the correct price and that all the merchandise is ready to be sold.
- To make sure the store is clean and well-stocked.
- To increase sales to improve customer service.
- To make sure all significant events affecting the store are reported to the management and that all team members receive the required information.
- To supervise and coach their team, to complete the performance reviews and to give the necessary feedback.
The requirements for candidates wanting to apply for Assistant Manager Food 4 Less jobs are:
- An Associates or Bachelor’s Degree.
- Good computer skills.
- 2 or more years of management retail or non-retail experience or the completion of the Store Assistant Manager Program.
- The ability to regularly lift weights and to stand on their feet during the shifts.
- The ability to work a flexible, full-time schedule which may include weekends and holidays.
Food 4 Less Assistant Manager Salary and Compensation
A Food 4 Less Assistant Store Manager has a yearly salary which begins at $35,000, and can go as high as $45,000. It is different from one location to another and it also varies according to the work experience. Since this is a retail career, other compensations can be usually added to the base salary, such as cash and performance bonuses. This makes the salary reach $48,000 per year. However, the average yearly salary for an assistant manager is $37,000.
Basic Tips for Applying at Food 4 Less
Those interested in these job opportunities should know that the easiest way to apply for Food 4 Less careers is to do it through the company’s online application system. Candidates can also do it in person by completing the jobs and employment form directly at the store they want to work in, but this is the most efficient way. There is another benefit for applying online for Food 4 Less careers. Candidates will be able to verify their Food 4 Less application status by logging into their Food 4 Less account.
Candidates should remember that they are required to go through the entire Food 4 Less application process and complete all its steps. It is not a long application process, but candidates need to also complete the assessment, which can take more time. Candidates need to also remember that the Food 4 Less application process is considered incomplete without assessment and that they will need to complete this step if they want their Food 4 Less job application to be considered.
Another important thing candidates need to do is to provide some professional references to support their Food 4 Less application. The basic rules of applying online for Food 4 Less jobs are the same to other online application processes, and are also quite simple:
- Candidates need to go through all the steps the Food 4 Less application process requires them to and give all the information the Food 4 Less job application form asks for.
- Candidates must write accurate information during all the steps, and they especially need to make sure their phone number is spelled correctly.
- Candidates should answer all the statements of the assessment with honesty. Some of the statements repeat themselves and, if they are not honest the first time, this will show.
- If candidates cannot complete the entire Food 4 Less job application process all at once, they have the option to save the steps they have already completed as draft and continue the Food 4 Less application process later. It is advisable to do this instead of hurrying up and giving incomplete or inaccurate information.
- Candidates should always double check to see if there are any mistakes in the jobs and employment form.
This is not a complicated application process, but it is a fairly long one and does require some time to complete it, usually not more than an hour. If candidates answer all the questions and provide all the information, they will have good chances of being contacted for an interview.
When writing the desired shift availability, candidates need to be as flexible as possible to show the Food 4 Less hiring manager that they are willing to match the staffing needs of the store. This will most likely show that they are a good match for this position, and this will increase their chances of getting the Food 4 Less job they want.
Benefits at Food 4 Less
A very well-known Food 4 Less employee benefit is the store discount of 5%, which all employees can use. Employees also receive fuel discounts in some locations. Another important benefit for Food 4 Less employees is the flexible schedule for full-time and part-time employees, which can fit all needs. Another important benefit for the younger Food 4 Less employees is the training they receive on the job, which will help them in their future careers, and which can also help them to professionally advance within the company.
Food 4 Less also offers paid time off for its full-time employees, and the exact amount may vary according to position and the years worked in the company, and it increases each year. They also offer other benefits, such as medical and life insurance, and retirement plans. Full-time store employees can benefit from some incentive programs which can increase their total pay.
Food 4 Less Interview Tips & Hiring Process Information
Food 4 Less job interviews are a lot like those of other retail chains. Everything begins with the Food 4 Less application, be it online or in person, which will be reviewed by the Food 4 Less hiring manager. This step happens whether the candidate submitted the completed jobs and employment form in person or has completed the Food 4 Less application online. If the Food 4 Less hiring manager considers the candidate to be a good match for the company, they will call to schedule an in person interview.
Food 4 Less interviews are usually casual and can last from 15 minutes to half an hour. For some Food 4 Less careers, additional interviews might be required, but this only happens for management or corporate Food 4 Less careers. During the interview, the candidate will be asked to give more details about their work availability, prior work experience, education, and skills. The hiring manager will also talk about what the candidate will need to do on a daily basis and the schedule requirements. During the interview, the candidate can and should ask some questions about the job and about the schedule.
Food 4 Less careers require employees to constantly interact with customers, so the candidate needs to have a friendly attitude and smile once in a while during the interview. Here are some Food 4 Less interview tips that can help candidates before and during the job interview:
- All candidates should dress in business casual attire, no matter the position they apply for.
- Candidates should smile and behave in a friendly manner. A positive attitude is also very important.
- Candidates should be calm and remember that constant fidgeting is disturbing for the other person.
- Candidates should speak at a normal volume, not too loud and not too soft. They should also have a calm voice.
- Candidates need to make eye contact with the Food 4 Less hiring manager from time to time. If they are uncomfortable with this, they should make an effort.
- Candidates must never interrupt the Food 4 Less hiring manager.
- Candidates need to give full-sentenced answers unless having been asked a Yes or No question, and sometimes even then.
Frequently Asked Food 4 Less Interview Questions
A Food 4 Less job interview is not complicated, especially for entry-level Food 4 Less careers. Most of the questions asked are about the candidate’s skills, previous work experience, and why they want this job. Some of the most common questions during a Food 4 Less interview are:
- Why did you apply at Food 4 Less?
- Tell me about yourself.
- Are you up for the challenge of working here?
- In which section of the store do you see yourself?
- What experience do you have in team based environments?
- What are your strengths and weakness?
There are no definite Food 4 Less interview answers and there are no sure things candidates should say. But they do need to answer them with honesty and as specific as possible. They also should give detailed and positive answers, especially if they are asked about how they would handle certain work situations. They should also remember that most of Food 4 Less jobs are focused on the customers and answer accordingly.
Official site: www.food4less.com
Official career site: Food 4 Less Careers Portal 1, Food 4 Less Careers Portal 2
To discover other popular job applications read here: