Employment at In-N-Out
Founded in 1948, In-N-Out is a fast-food chain of restaurants located mainly in the America Southwest and Pacific coast. States with an In-N-Out location include California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Texas and Oregon. Their headquarters is in Irvine, California. After finishing this article, you should be fully aware of the In-N-Out application process, as well as have a good understanding of who they are and what types of jobs they have to offer.
Your In-n-Out application process starts on their career page and is very user-friendly. Those filling out the In-N-Out application will have two choices to begin their search including restaurant employment and corporate employment. The career page also includes a brief history of the company and what they are looking for in an employee. In-N-Out has been known as a “cool” place to get burgers, fries and shakes so they are looking for employees that will uphold that reputation.
We will review the restaurant career page first. You will be greeted with a slide show of smiling employees and the first paragraph your eyes are drawn to is “Great Benefits” and directly below that is “Great Opportunities”. In order to begin the In-N-Out application, you will have the ability to choose part-time or full-time opportunities. The In-N-Out store opportunities are simply these:
- Store Associate
- Cleanup Associate
Management is generally developed and hired from within the restaurants. In order to see current opportunities at a specific location, click here.
You will now have the option to search by city/state/zip or all locations. You will then be taken to a map with every location mapped with a marker. There will also be a list down the right hand side of the page with every location and a link for employment. But, since the two positions are store associate or cleanup associate, there is not a wealth of information included here. They do impress the fact that they are looking for high-quality employees to match their standards.
Once you choose your location and select your preferred application language, you will be taken to the beginning of the In-N-Out application process. The steps to do this are as follows:
- Find your desired location and click on “employment” in the pop-up box you will see.
- Choose your preferred language for your application. Your choices are English and Español. You will also see starting pay/hour. This takes you to that specific store’s opportunities.
- Select any additional stores in the area that you might consider.
- Choose “Store Associate” or “Cleanup Associate“. Next to each is a button that says “apply“.
You must go through the In-N-Out application process to be considered for any position at In-N-Out.
Following are a summary of some of the responsibilities that can be expected of you whether you choose to join as a “Store Associate” or “Cleanup Associate“.
Responsible for delivering fresh, high-quality foods to In-N-Out customers in a timely fashion. Keeping the restaurant extremely clean is also a top responsibility. Day to day responsibilities include:
- Acceptable verbal English language.
- Basic math skills for working registers.
- The ability to comprehend basic instructions on a day to day basis.
- Must be able to move around freely in an environment that somewhat resembles an obstacle course.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds.
- Ability to operate store equipment such as slicers, dicers, computers, fryers and grills.
- The ability to show up on time for your scheduled shift and complete your scheduled shift.
- The willingness to take direction from a supervisor.
- Be able to interact productively with co-workers.
- The ability to accept feedback on how you can improve, follow In-N-Out rules and perform whatever work task is asked of you.
Responsible for maintaining a sparkling, clean environment in the restaurant. You will also be responsible for getting the store ready to open daily. Day to day responsibilities include:
- Acceptable verbal English language.
- Comprehension skills to receive instruction and follow-through
- Ability to move in and around the store amidst equipment and people
- Must have the physical capability to bend, stoop down and get around equipment in general
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 75 pounds
- Ability to sanitize and operate store equipment such as slicers, dicers, computers, fryers and grills
- The ability to show up on time for your scheduled shift and complete your scheduled shift
- Must be able to productively interact with fellow employees
- Willingness to take direction and constructive criticism
- The ability to follow In-N-Out rules and perform whatever work task is asked of you
Corporate Opportunities: Your search for corporate opportunities starts here. The Baldwin Park and Irvine, CA areas are the two primary corporate locations, however satellite locations also exist for corporate opportunities. They include:
- Lathrop, California
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Phoenix, Arizona
- Draper, Utah
- Dallas, Texas
Upon clicking on corporate employment, you will see a box on the left-hand side that says “Join Our Team” and underneath, a box that says “See opportunities“. When you click see opportunities you are taken to a page that lists all available positions.
The page begins with the most recently added jobs. They will appear in a list and show job title and location. To find out more information about any of the recently added jobs, just click on the job description. Here you will find the following details of the job:
- General responsibilities
- Work schedule
- Minimum requirements
- Summary of In-N-Out
If interested in any of those positions, there is an “Apply Now” button to begin the In-N-Out application process.
The next section lists types of jobs by function. It is called 1-Click Job Searches. There are a number of functions with specific opportunities which include Accounting, Burger Television, Delivery, Maintenance, Meat Commissary, Painting, Real Estate, Steam Cleaning, Administration, Carpentry, Human Resources, Marketing, Merchandise, Quality Control, Sanitation and Warehouse.
- Beside each function will be a # that lists how many jobs are available.
- Click on the function of interest and available jobs will show when the new page opens.
- You can then view the job information similar to store jobs and start the In-N-Out application.
In-n-Out Application Process
The following 10 steps will get you through the In-N-Out application process:
- Click “Apply Now” for a desired job.
- Agree electronically to pre-application consent
- Click the box to agree to terms.
- Upload your resume and optional cover letter. You will need to create a personal account to save your resume.
- Fill out the personal information section completely.
- Click through disclosures to get to the next step.
- These questions should take less than 5 minutes to answer.
- Fill out all details requested in application information. This may take up to 25 minutes.
- This is very brief. Fill out and move to the last step.
Review your application
- Be sure to check your application thoroughly to be sure you filled everything out to the best of your ability.
Repeat the process for additional positions, but you will only need to upload your resume once after you create an online profile.
Minimum Age for Employment
The minimum hiring age for In-N-Out is 16 years old. Anyone of that age or older is welcome to complete the In-N-Out application for open positions.
Hours of Operation
Hours vary by location so be sure to check with your local restaurant for specific operating hours.
Entry-level Careers and Respective Income
Every new employee starts at a minimum of $11.00/hour (this can vary by state). In-N-Out feels their employees are extremely important. In fact, management almost always gets promoted from within. The goal is to develop people and promote from within.
Careers in Management
As mentioned in the previous section, In-N-Out aims to promote all management from within, however, store manager positions are posted for those outside of the company as well. If you are searching for a job in the corporate department, there are management opportunities. Some of the departments include Human Resources, Marketing, Merchandise, Quality Control, Warehouse managers and more. Check out the corporate opportunities for current openings.
In-N-Out has attractive benefits available for part-time and full-time employees. As a part-time employee you can expect the following:
- Holiday pay: Employees are entitled to holiday pay for the holidays that the restaurant is closed
- Vacation: Employees accrue vacation time after 90 days of employment
- Free meal on work days
- 15% discount at company store
- Fun, company-sponsored events
As a full-time employee, you can expect the following in addition to the benefits listed for part-time employees above:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- Additional vacation accrual
- Life insurance
- Profit sharing
- 401k plan
Basic Tips for Applying at In-N-Out
If you follow the tips below you can experience a smooth In-N-Out application process:
- Research beforehand: Know what the company is like, their history, their values, their culture etc. It’s important to be able to decipher ahead of time if you might be a good fit for the company and when interview time comes, it will make you look well prepared.
- Be attentive to grammar and spelling: This is more significant than most people think when applying for a job. It’s the first representation of yourself to the company, so be sure to double and triple check your spelling and grammar.
- Receive feedback on your resume: It would be wise to have someone review your resume beforehand. Choose someone that may be currently in a leadership role and ask for honest feedback. A good resume can set you apart from others competing for the same job.
- Follow instructions: Pay attention to detail during the application process and be attentive to the details.
- Adequate time: Don’t fill out your application when you are in a hurry. Choose a time when you can commit the right amount of attention to make a good first impression.
- Research common interview questions and practice responses to them- You can find multiple lists of potential interview questions on-line along with suggested responses.
- Dress professionally- Put your best foot forward and dress for the promotion you are aiming for down the road.
- Be on time- Being late for a job interview is not a way to make a good first impression.
- Thank the interviewer for their time when wrapping up- It’s important to acknowledge that the interviewer took time out of his/her day to get to know you and your potential for the job.
- Ask when a good time to follow-up might be- It’s not a bad idea to ask when it might be appropriate to follow-up if you have not heard anything for a while.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for the job! – Make the close before you leave. Oftentimes, an interviewer will conclude by asking if you have any questions for them; use this opportunity to ask for the job. It could make the difference between you and the next person walking in to interview for the position.
Working at In-N-Out
Many agree that working at In-N-Out is rewarding and fun! Some of the feedback is that it is a fun environment, excellent part-time opportunity, great benefits, great pay and good opportunity for advancement! Start the application process today!
To discover other popular job applications read here: