Employment at BJ’s
BJ’s Wholesale Club is an American warehouse club for members only. The chain operates in the Eastern part of the United States, and in the state of Ohio. The company is headquartered in Westborough, Massachusetts, and it was founded in 1984. BJ’s is the 3rd membership warehouse club in the country, after Costco and Sam’s Club. Aside from the warehouses, the company also sells its merchandise online, on the official site, www.bjs.com. BJ’s Wholesale Club offers its customers many benefits. After gaining membership, they can benefit from member pricing, many name-brand products at wholesale prices, and they can also take advantage of all types of coupons. These benefits are available both for individual members and for companies. Non-members customers can also shop at BJ’s Wholesale Club, but they are required to pay a surcharge of 5% to 15%, depending on location and other circumstances. If non-members decide to get a BJ’s membership, this surcharge can be repaid by the chain and deducted from the membership’s fee, provided they show the receipt of the initial purchase and they apply for it in a maximum of seven days. Memberships are easy to get, and customers can even do this at the register during cash out. Memberships have a validity period of twelve months and it costs $50 per year. This price is paid at each renewal.
Another benefit BJ’s Wholesale Club members get is a 2% portion of all purchases which can be used in future BJ’s purchases. However, customers cannot use this percentage to buy alcohol, tobacco, or gas. Many of the BJ’s stores offer members additional services, such as gas stations, car rentals, propane filling, and vacation packages. Until a few years ago, they also offered pharmaceutical services. Also, not all BJ’s stores sell the same products. They vary from one location to another, due mostly on the customers’ requests.
There are over 200 BJ’s stores in the United States, and their number is slowly growing. There are more than 25,000 BJ’s employees, working both full-time and part-time, and the company is constantly hiring.
BJ’s Application Process
Those who are interested in BJ’s careers can find all the available positions online, on the company’s official site, www.bjs.com. On the home page they will find a link which will take them to the BJ’s careers page – BJs Employment. They can also find many of the BJ’s jobs listed on various recruitment websites, but the company’s official recruitment page is the easiest way to find them all in one place. To begin the search for BJ’s jobs, candidates need to choose between corporate BJ’s careers and BJ’s club jobs. Aside from this, they also need to choose among the various types of available BJ’s careers available for each option.
Once they have done this, they will see all the BJ’s available positions for that specific job. By clicking on it, candidates can read the entire job description to see if they match the requirements. If they do and want to apply at BJ’s, they need to click the red “Apply Now” button located on top of the job’s title. If the candidates do not want to apply online, they can also do it in person, directly at the BJ’s store. However, the BJ;s online application system is the simpler and less time consuming version.
After choosing a password, the candidates will also need to voluntarily state their race, something they can decline to do. Also, they are asked to state the year of their birth. Again, they can decline to do so. The next step of the BJ’s application process requires candidates to answer a few questions.
Here they are:
- If hired, can you submit proof of your legal right to work in the United States?
- If your position requires a pre-employment drug test upon receiving a conditional offer of employment, would you be willing to take one?
- Have you been referred by a current BJ’s Team Member?
- Why would you like to work at BJ’s?
The last question requires candidates to write their own reasons, so they should take their time when doing so. The next step of the BJ’s application process requires candidates to fill the BJ’s jobs and employment form. This contains all the information a candidate would write in the resume, so it should be easy to complete. The candidates are required to provide their full name, their complete address, their phone number, and also state what BJ’s job they are applying for.
The BJ’s job and employment form also has a section dedicated to the work availability. The candidates need to specify the type of BJ’s employment they want, seasonal, part-time, or full-time. They also need to fill in the days they would be available to work, and the hourly interval.
The next part of the BJ’s online application form contains a few questions the candidates need to answer:
- Do you have a relative employed by BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.?
- Have you worked for BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc. in the past?
- If yes, when and where?
- If hired, and you are under 18, can you furnish a work permit?
- If an offer of employment is made conditional upon the results of a drug screening test, are you willing to take one?
- Do you have a legal right to work in the United States? Proof of identity and employment eligibility will be required as a condition of employment.
- Will you now or in the future, require BJ’s to sponsor you for Employment Authorization? If yes, please explain.
The next step in the BJ’s application process is to provide information about any previous work experience. The candidates need to list their last 10 years of work experience, including military service, and self-employment, if such is the case. Candidates are also asked to begin with the most recent. Volunteer work is also considered appropriate. Those who cannot provide 10 years of work experience can simply enter “n/a” in the specified boxes.
Once this stage is completed, candidates enter the final phases of the BJ’s online application form which requires them to provide two professional references, both their names and contact details. After doing so, the candidates are required to state their education and to say whether they have ever served in the military.
After providing all this information, candidates need to sign the pre-employment drug test consent form. In this form, they need to again state whether they are 18 years old or not. If they are under 18, they need to provide the signature of their legal guardian or parent on the form in order to be considered for the BJ’s job they are applying for. All candidates are required to proc=vide their Social Security Number in ordered to be considered for the BJ’s job.
After completing all these steps, candidates need to check a box and confirm that they have reviewed all the information in the BJ’s application form, and they have the option of either continuing with the BJ’s application process or saving these steps and continuing later.
The next part of the BJ’s job application process requires all candidates to complete an assessment. This assessment will take around 25 minutes to complete and is made of several statements with which candidates can agree or disagree. Here are some examples:
- Coworkers would describe me as someone who follows the rules.
- I think everyone should obey those in positions of authority.
- Coworkers would describe me as being obedient.
- Coworkers would describe me as ambitious.
- Getting ahead in life is important.
- A person should always look for promotion opportunities at work.
- I analyze a problem carefully before trying to solve it.
- I try to be very logical when solving work problems.
- In order to make a decision at work, you have to compare every possible solution.
There are 20 statements on each page, and there are a total of 12 pages in this assessment, but this is not timed, so the candidates can take their time while answering. Also, they have the option to save at the end of each page and continue later. After giving the required answers, the BJ’s application process allows candidates to attach any relevant documents to the job application, such as letters of intent or other diplomas. After completing and submitting the assessment, the BJ’s application process is complete.
Minimum Age for Employment at BJ’s
The minimum age at which a person can start working at BJ’s is 16. Of course, some BJ’s jobs require employees to be at least 18 years of age, either because of various state regulations or because the job requires some prior work experience, but entry level BJ’s careers at available for younger candidates, usually on a part-time level.
BJ’s Hours of Operations
BJ’s hours of operations are the usually the same for all the stores, and there are no major differences. Typically, a BJ’s store opens at 9 in the morning and closes at 9 in the evening during the workweek; Saturdays and Sundays, the stores have a different schedule. On Saturday, it opens at 9 in the morning and closes at 9 in the evening, while on Sundays the store opens at 9 in the morning and closes at 6 in the evening.
Entry Level BJ’s Careers and Income
BJ’s careers are divided in two major categories, store BJ’s jobs and corporate BJ’s careers. Corporate BJ’s careers cover a lot of fields of activity, from Marketing, to Distribution, to Accounting, to Administrative. Store BJ’s jobs also offer a variety of positions, and people with different backgrounds and education can easily find one that fits.
Some of the most frequent BJ’s jobs are Stock Clerk, Cashier, Club Detective, Membership Sales Representative, Cashier, Assistant Manager, General Manager, Marketing Manager, Information Technology Specialist, Human Resources Associate, Logistics Manager, and Financial Analyst. Entry level BJ’s careers are very popular and are easily accessible.
BJ’s Cashier Associate Job Description and Duties
This is one of the entry level BJ’s jobs. BJ’s Cashiers work at the register and interact constantly with customers. They are responsible with operating in an accurate and rapid manner the customers’ purchases, and need to be friendly and have a courteous attitude. Other responsibilities of BJ’s Cashiers include:
- They verify the customers’ memberships;
- They scan the merchandise;
- They accept payment in different forms, such as cash, check, credit card, and coupons;
- They assist members and customers during the checkout process;
- They perform all the required cash register functions;
- They have cleaning duties and need to and comply with all the sanitation and safety standards.
There are no requirements when it comes to education, and the minimum age accepted is 16.
BJ’s Cashier Salary and Compensation
This entry level BJ’s warehouse job has an hourly based pay. The minimum hourly pay for a BJ’s Cashier begins at $7, and can go as high as $12, depending on location and work experience. Of course, the weekly pay varies according to the actual number of hours worked, but this position allows BJ’s employees to supplement their income by taking extra sifts whenever possible.
The average yearly salary for a BJ’s Cashier is around $18,000.
BJ’s Careers in Management
BJ’s warehouse also needs qualified employees to run the stores, so people with enough working experience will find a lot of BJ’s managerial employment options. Store management BJ’s careers include Assistant Manager and General Manager. Usually, the company prefers to place into managerial positions its own employees, who are already trained by the company.
This means that all employees can have substantial professional growth within the company. But BJ’s also looks at outside candidates to fill these positions.
BJ’s Assistant Store Manager Job Description and Duties
An Assistant Store Manager oversees the operational and merchandise areas of the store, and also helps the Store Manager in other daily activities. BJ’s Assistant Managers have other duties and responsibilities, such as:
- They make sure that all the expense control, human resources, payroll, and schedules comply with policies and procedures of the company.
- They develop and enforce procedures and processes to ensure all operational and merchandising policies are respected.
- They make sure that the BJ’s store’s building, equipment, furniture and other fixtures are maintained and working properly.
- They manage the BJ’s store’s budget, including payroll, repairs and maintenance and other expenses.
- They are responsible for the professional development of Team Members and other Managers and also assist with the hiring process.
- They must be able to perform all management functions in the absence of the General Manager.
The requirements for this BJ’s career are:
- At least a high school diploma;
- At least 3 years of retail supervisory experience;
- Good knowledge of the BJ’s store’s operations.
BJ’s Assistant Store Manager Salary and Compensation
The yearly salary of a BJ’s Assistant Store Manager begins at $44,000, and can go as high as $72,000. It can vary due to location and work experience. Since this is a retail managerial position, other compensations are added to the base salary, such as cash bonuses and commission sharing. This makes the total compensation to reach $79,000. However, the average yearly pay for an assistant manager is around $79,000.
Basic Tips for Applying at BJ’s
The easiest way to apply for all BJ’s jobs is to do it online. Of course, candidates can also do it in person, but this is the simplest and more efficient way. Candidates should know that it is very important to go through the entire BJ’s job application process and actually complete it. Although it is not long, candidates need to answer a fair amount of questions, including the assessment. Going through the entire BJ’s job application process and answering all the required questions is a must for everyone looking to start one of the BJ’s careers.
Another important thing to do is to upload a good resume, and any other documents that could support the candidate’s BJ’s online application. The basic rules of applying online for BJ’s jobs are simple, and they are similar to most online application processes:
- Candidates are required to follow all the steps and give all the information they are required in the BJ’s jobs and employment form.
- Candidates should make sure that all the information written is correct before moving to the next step.
- Candidates should answer all the questions honestly.
- If candidates cannot complete the entire BJ’s job application process at once, they can save the steps they have already completed and continue at a later time.
- Candidates need to take all the required assessments and complete them in order for their BJ’s job application to be successful.
This is not a difficult process, but it does require some time to complete it, usually not more than an hour, assessment included. If candidates answer all the questions and they provide all the information, including the shift availability, than their BJ’s job application will be considered complete and they will be considered for the job.
Benefits at BJ’s Careers
An important benefit for BJ’s employees is the flexible schedule for part-time employees, which can be tailored to fit all situations and needs, especially those of high-scholars and college students. BJ’s main benefits for its employees are as expected: 401k plans, medical insurance, and paid vacation time, which varies according to position and the number of years worked for the company. Other benefits include long-term and short-term life insurance, and dependent life insurance.
The company also offers dental and vision medical insurance, family and medical leave of absence, and voluntary benefits. Those in full-time positions, as well as managerial positions and those in BJ’s corporate careers have other benefits which add up to the ones just listed, such as more complex retirement plans, and employee stock purchase plans. Also, full-time employees can benefit from different bonus programs which can increase the total compensation.
BJ’s Interview Tips & Hiring Process Information
Interviews at BJ’s careers are similar to those of other retailers. It all begins with the online BJ’s application, which will be reviewed by a hiring manager. This happens both if the candidate has complete the BJ’s application online or submitted a resume at the store. If the BJ’s store hiring manager considers the candidate to fill the job requirements, they will call to schedule an in person interview. The reviewing process will usually take from a few days to a week, depending on how fast the store needs to fill that position.
BJ’s interviews for store jobs can last from 15 minutes to half an hour, depending on the position the candidate applied for. For some BJ’s careers, additional interviews might be required, but this only happens for management or corporate BJ’s careers. During the interview, the candidate will be asked to give more details about the information already submitted in the BJ’s online application form. The questions will be focused on the candidate’s the prior working experience, education, and skills. The hiring manager will also talk about the responsibilities and duties of the job and the schedule. During the interview, the candidate should also ask questions about the company and the job.
BJ’s store jobs require a lot of customer interaction, so the candidate needs to have a positive attitude and smile during the interview. Here are some BJ’s interview tips to be considered:
- Candidates should choose business casual attire, both men and women. Women should be careful not to wear anything too short or too revealing, and also be careful with the makeup. Men should always wear shirts.
- Candidates should always be friendly. In a department store, a positive attitude is very important.
- Candidates should at least try to appear calm. Constant fidgeting is disturbing.
- Candidates should speak naturally and try to keep a calm voice.
- Candidates should try to make eye contact from time to time during the interview. Otherwise, they might be considered too shy and not a good fit for the position.
- Candidates should never interrupt the BJ’s hiring manager when speaking.
- Unless having been asked a Yes or No question, candidates should give answers with complete sentences while still being on topic.
Frequently Asked BJ’s Interview Questions
A BJ’s job interview is not very complicated, and for store BJ’s jobs the interview can be quite simple. Most of the questions asked are related to any previous work experience, education, and the way the candidate would handle certain specific work situations. Some of the most common questions during a BJ’s job interview are:
- Why do you want to work at BJ’s?
- What are your plans for the future?
- Why did you leave your last job?
- Tell me more about yourself.
- What do you know about BJ’s?
When it comes to BJ’s interview answers, candidates should refrain from saying what they think the hiring manager wants to hear. Instead, candidates should try to answer them as honestly as they can and to give specific details. They also should give detailed answers whenever the questions allow it, and especially when they are talking about their previous accomplishments.
The BJ’s application process isn’t difficult to complete, but you will need to dedicate some of your time to reach the end of it. Even if you aren’t selected for a BJ’s career in your first application attempt you can try to apply again. There are plenty of BJ’s careers available for entry-level and trained candidates. Good luck!
Official site: www.bjs.com
Official career site: BJ’s careers
To discover other popular job applications read here: