Employment at Bi-Lo
Bi-Lo is an American supermarket chain which operates in North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Georgia. Bi-Lo is owned by the company Southeastern Grocers, headquartered in Jacksonville, Florida. The company also owns the Winn-Dixie brand, which has stores in Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, and Mississippi. Southeastern Grocers is the fifth-largest conventional supermarket chain in the United States, and the second-largest supermarket chain in the Southeastern part of the United States by number of stores. Bi-Lo was founded in 1961 by Frank Outlaw, and its original name was Wrenn & Outlaw. The founder decided to change the name of the stores and, in 1963, conducted a store-naming contest among its employees. His secretary won the contest with the name Bi-Lo, which remained ever since. Bi-Lo stores offer a large variety of merchandise, like frozen foods, fresh fruits and vegetables, different kinds of meat and poultry, personal hygiene products, and many more. Bi-Lo also offers to its customers various services, like floral shops, Western Union, and wellness and pharmacy services. Bi-Lo customers can also buy gift cards and lottery tickets, and also various discount tickets.
In 2003, the company decided to reposition the Bi-Lo stores and attract more high-end customers. To do this, the company launched a new concept, the Super Bi-Lo store, which has a larger layout and offers a greater variety of healthier foods, organic products, and many more specialties. There are over 200 Bi-Lo supermarkets throughout the four states where the brand is present, and the number of Bi-Lo employees surpasses 20,000. As the company is expanding and opening new stores, the number of employees will also rise. Bi-Lo is constantly hiring new people and there are many of Bi-Lo available positions from which to choose.
Bi-Lo Application Process
With a great variety of Bi-Lo careers available, the company is a good choice for people of different backgrounds. Candidates who want to find out exactly what type of Bi-Lo jobs are available can go on the recruitment websites which advertise them. But the less time consuming way to go through all the available Bi-Lo employment opportunities is to go directly to the company’s official site, www.bi-lo.com. Here, at the bottom left of the page, the candidates will find the link which will take them on Bi-Lo’s official recruitment page – BiLo Application. This page is not just for Bi-Lo careers, but also for Winn Dixie jobs and Harveys careers, all of the brands being a part of the same big company, Southeastern Grocers.
To begin the search for Bi-Lo careers, candidates can use a keyword and the location they are interested in. The location can be a city or a state. They can also filter their search by category and distance. After clicking the search button, a list with all the filtered available Bi-Lo careers alongside Winn Dixie and Harveys ones. If they want to know more about one of the available Bi-Lo careers, candidates can click on its title, which will take them to the page where they can read the entire job description and the requirements successful candidates need to meet in order to be considered for this job. If they consider that Bi-Lo job to be suitable for them, they can begin the Bi-Lo application process by clicking the red “APPLY” button.
After clicking this button, a pop-up window will appear which will give them the opportunity to use their social media accounts to gather some of the data required by the Bi-Lo jobs and employment form. They can use their Facebook, LinkedIn, or Google+ accounts. They can also choose to manually fill the jobs and employment form. After choosing one of these four methods, they will be required to enter their email address. Within the pop-up window, the job description of the Bi-Lo job they have chosen will appear once again and, in order to start the Bi-lo application process, they will need to click on the “APPLY ONLINE” button located at the top of the window.
To do this, they are required to create a candidate account. They will need to provide a user ID, a password, and their email address once again. The Bi-Lo application system also requires candidates to choose two security questions in order to further protect their account. They also need to provide the correct answers. The next step of the Bi-Lo job application system asks candidates to accept the privacy agreement.
Now the real Bi-Lo application process has begun. The first step allows candidates to either use their LinkedIn account in order to extract the needed information, to upload a resume for the same reasons, or to manually fill the Bi-Lo jobs and employment form. The first part of it will require candidates to fill in their personal information, such as their full name, address, and phone number. It will also require candidates to provide their date of birth and Social Security Number. This information will not be made available for recruiters, but will be used for the background check, if the candidate is offered a job.
The Bi-Lo application process asks candidates to specify their desired pay. This is not mandatory and, if candidates do not wish to fill this box, it will not harm their Bi-Lo job application in any way. But the Bi-Lo application process does require candidates to specify their shift availability. After saving and going to the next step of the Bi-Lo application process, the candidates will be asked to answer a few general questions, such as:
- Are you 14 years of age or older?
- Are you currently an associate with Southeastern Grocers (BI-LO, Harveys, Winn-Dixie stores)? If yes, you must apply through the Internal Portal.
- As a condition of employment with our company, if you are offered employment, are you willing to submit to a pre-employment criminal background and drug test?
- Can you provide genuine documentation of your identity and eligibility to be legally employed in the United States?
- Have you previously been employed by Southeastern Grocers, BI-LO, Harveys or Winn-Dixie?
The next part of the Bi-Lo application process requires candidates to answer some job specific questions. For those applying for store Bi-Lo careers, some of the questions are:
- Can you speak, read, write and understand English?
- Please indicate any additional languages which you can speak, read, write and understand.
- To provide outstanding customer service, we are open nights, weekends, and holidays. Are you available to consistently show up on time and as scheduled to service our customers?
- Associates are prohibited from displaying offensive or suggestive tattoos, controversial or distracting piercings, and distracting hair styles/colors. Are you willing to comply with these dress code policies including the requirement that associates be well-groomed, neat and appropriately dressed for their job function?
- To ensure the store functions effectively, you may be asked to perform tasks that are outside of you normal job requirements such as collecting shopping carts, cleaning & stocking restrooms, or stocking & straightening shelves. Are you willing to perform the tasks necessary to provide an outstanding experience for our customers?
After answering these job related questions, candidates will need to provide information about their education and their previous work experience. They will also be able to provide some professional references. The Bi-Lo job application is considered incomplete without the tax questionnaire, so the next step candidates need to take is to fill it with the required information. To do this, they must click on the provided link and which will open a new window. After finishing it, they need to close this window in order to return to the Bi-Lo application process and complete it.
The next part of the Bi-Lo application process asks candidates some questions about their race, gender, and disability status. These questions are not mandatory and the candidates can decline to answer them. After going through this step, applicants are required to give the company’s permission to do a background check if they will be offered a job and also offer some information, like whether they have ever been convicted of a crime. Not all candidates are required to answer these questions, because some states have clear regulations which prohibit employers from asking them.
There are only two more steps that the candidates need to go through in order to complete the online Bi-Lo application process. The first is to electronically sign the jobs and employment form, and the second is to verify the information already provided and submit the Bi-Lo online job application.
Minimum Age of Employment at Bi-Lo
The Bi-Lo application process asks the candidates whether they are at least 14 years old, and this could mean that, for some Bi-Lo jobs and in some states, candidates as young as 14 or 15 can be considered. However, the official minimum age of employment at Bi-Lo is 16 years old. Some Bi-Lo careers may require a different minimum age, due to state regulations. Candidates should inquire whether they can be considered for a job before applying if they have any doubts.
Bi-Lo Hours of Operation
The schedule of Bi-Lo stores is slightly different from one location to another. Some stores are open 24 hours a day, every day of the week. Other Bi-Lo stores open at 6 in the morning and close at midnight every day, Monday to Friday. Saturdays and Sundays they open at the same hour, 6 in the morning, but close an hour earlier, at 11 in the night. Candidates should inquire the exact schedule directly at the store they are interested in.
Entry Level Bi-Lo Careers and Income
Bi-Lo stores constantly have available Bi-Lo jobs. For entry level ones, the requirements are not complex and many candidates could be a good match. Most of the Bi-Lo jobs are store jobs, and they can be a great start for a customer service and sales career.
Some of the most frequent Bi-Lo careers are: Bagger, Cashier, Customer Service Center Clerk, Courtesy Clerk, Stock Clerk, Coffee Shop Clerk, Deli/Bakery Clerk, Cake Decorator, Floral Clerk, Florist, General Merchandise/Health and Beauty Clerk, Grocery Clerk, Lead Stock Clerk, Frozen Food and Dairy Clerk, Meat Clerk, Meat Cutter, Meat Wrapper, Store Security Guard, Photo Center Clerk, Photo Center Supervisor, Produce Clerk, Seafood Clerk, Pharmacy Tech-Certified, Pharmacy Technician, Sales Floor Supervisor, Department Manager, Assistant Manager, and Store Manager.
Bi-Lo Cashier Job Description and Duties
The Bi-Lo cashier is just one of the entry level Bi-Lo careers constantly available. A Bi-Lo cashier handles the customers’ checkout and needs to do it in a fast and accurate way. A cashier has financial responsibility for the lane he or she works at. Aside from this, there are many more job duties and responsibilities these Bi-Lo careers have, such as:
- To have a friendly and pleasant attitude toward customers.
- To inform management of all customer concerns.
- To manage their assigned lane in compliance with the service standards.
- To promote specials and promotions to company whenever and however the company or store management requires them to.
- To record the sales through the scanning system in the proper manner and to operate the cashiering equipment with accuracy.
- Is in charge of stocking the lane with Front End products.
- To handle discarded or returned items.
- To maintain a clean work area.
- To report about any equipment malfunctions and any arising hazards to their superior.
- To take the carts back to the shopping cart area.
- To assist with the training of new cashiers.
- To tell management of any associate theft and customer shoplifting, or anything illegal or against the company rules and procedures.
There are no special requirements when it comes to education or work experience for these Bi-Lo careers, and no special physical requirements either. But there are a few requirements candidates need to meet, such as:
- They are required to read, write and speak English in a proficient manner.
- They need to be authorized to work in the United States or to obtain authorization.
- They need to pass the pre-employment drug testing and background check.
Bi-Lo Cashier Salary and Compensation
Bi-Lo Cashier careers are hourly based, whether the employees work on a full-time or part-time basis. And so is the pay. The salary of a Bi-Lo Cashier begins at $7 per hour and can go as high as $9 per hour. It may vary from one Bi-Lo store to another, but not in a significant way. It also varies based on work experience and the number of years working for the company. These Bi-Lo careers allow employees to take extra hours, which further increases their weekly pay.
Bi-Lo Careers in Management
Bi-Lo stores are busy places to work, which need to be well managed. To do so, the company relies on its management Bi-Lo employees, which make sure everything is in the proper order. Management Bi-Lo careers are constantly available, both for candidates from outside the company and for current Bi-Lo employees. Some of the most frequent management Bi-Lo careers are Department Manager, Assistant Manager, and Store Manager. The requirements are more complex for these jobs, as are their duties and responsibilities.
Bi-Lo Department Manager Job Description and Duties
The Bi-Lo Department Manager is responsible with the entire daily operations of assigned department, which can be deli, meat, cosmetics, and many more. The Bi-Lo Department Manager is also responsible for the profit and loss of their department and he or she needs to make sure that customers are served in a friendly and pleasant manner.
There are many other responsibilities a Bi-Lo Department Manager has, and they include
- To properly manage the inventory, the stock, the prices, the merchandise, and all other processes according to the company’s standards.
- To make sure that the department’s merchandise respects the needs of the community and that the products are available at all times.
- To make sure that all members of the team offer great customer service and have the right attitude throughout the day.
- To make sure that their department is properly maintained and respects the company’s standards for appearance.
- They are required to supervise, train and develop their team members in compliance with the company’s rules and procedures.
- To develop, implement, and improve the department’s practices and procedures.
- To set merchandising, sales, and profit objectives, and communicate them during the weekly team meetings.
- To make sure all company standards are respected, including those of safety, food handling, and sanitation.
- To monitor all the equipment of the department and report any failures immediately.
- To schedule the department employees according to the needs of their department.
- To make sure wage and hour policies and regulations are respected and maintained.
- To perform any other job-related duties assigned by their superior.
The job responsibilities for these Bi-Lo careers are complex and the candidates looking to work in this position need to meet some specific requirements, such as:
- They must be at least 18 years old.
- They must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- They need to have some experience in a Bi-Lo lead position in that department or one year of related management or supervisory experience.
- They need to pass the pre-employment drug testing and background check.
- They need to have good computer skills, preferably in the computer applications used within the department.
- They need to have exceptional customer service, interpersonal, motivational, and communication skills.
Bi-Lo Department Manager Salary and Compensation
The salary of a Bi-Lo Department Manager reflects the complexity of the job. The hourly salary for a Bi-Lo Department Manager starts at $15 and can reach $17. It can vary from one store to another, and it is influenced by the previous work experience and the number of years worked for the company. The yearly salary for these Bi-Lo careers ranges from $30,000 and $34,000, and the average is around $32,500.
Basic Tips for Applying at Bi-Lo
With a wide variety of Bi-Lo careers available, candidates should know some basic tips for applying at Bi-Lo. There are a few ways to do this, either to be referred by a current Bi-Lo employee, or to search for a Bi-Lo available position and apply online or in person. Those who want to apply in person need to print their resume and take it to the store they are interested in. They will also be required to fill the jobs and employment form and, in some cases, they might be invited to the interview on the spot, so they should be prepared for this.
Those who want to apply online for Bi-Lo jobs need to also know a few things. The Bi-Lo application system has a few glitches at times, and applicants might not be able to register easily. One of the tips for applying at Bi-Lo using it is to keep trying to register until it works. Another tip for them is to have patience with the tax form they are required to fill, because the link might not always work, so they need to try it a few times. Since the Bi-Lo job application is incomplete without it, and the candidates cannot submit it without the tax form, they can save the steps they have already done and continue later.
Another important tip for applying at Bi-Lo is to give only accurate information, because all candidates who are offered a job need to also pass a background check.
Benefits at Bi-Lo
Bi-Lo employees have a variety of benefits. One of those Bi-Lo benefits is the store discount all employees have, which can vary from one location to another. Another Bi-Lo benefit is the paid time off, which is important in a field where the schedule requires employees to work weekends and holidays. It can vary from position to position and its amount is influenced by the number of years working for the company.
Of course, the company offers good retirement plans, and also medical insurance. Some positions also offer life and disability insurance, and various compensation programs. The most important benefit all Bi-Lo employees get is the constant on the job training, which will help them advance in their Bi-Lo careers.
Bi-Lo Interview Tips & Hiring Process Information
The Bi-Lo hiring process is similar to other hiring processes, whether we are talking about sales, retail, or other types of businesses. The Bi-Lo job application will be reviewed by the Bi-Lo hiring manager. If the candidate is considered a good fit for the company, he or she will be contacted to schedule an in person interview. This step might take a few days, depending on the number of candidates for that position.
The Bi-Lo job interview is no different than other customer service job interviews. The candidates will be asked to give some additional information about their work experience, and they will be informed about the schedule and job responsibilities. The job interview can last from 15 minutes to half an hour, and, in some cases, the candidates will be informed of they passed right away. To make sure they have a great chance of being selected for a Bi-Lo job, there are a few Bi-Lo interview tips candidates should consider:
- Before the interview, candidates should do some research about the company and the job they applied for.
- They should carefully choose their attire. Men should wear a shirt and some nice pants, and women should avoid revealing clothes and flashy colors.
- During the job interview, candidates should have a friendly attitude and be positive.
- They should speak only when asked to and do it in full sentences.
- Candidates should always let the Bi-Lo hiring manager speak.
- They should also be careful not to speak too much or too little.
Frequently Asked Bi-Lo Interview Questions
During the Bi-Lo job interview, the candidates will be asked a series of questions. Some of them are as expected and require the candidate to give accurate and detailed answers about their previous work experience and also job expectations. Other Bi-Lo interview questions can be more jobs specific, usually about how certain situations should or could be handled. In these cases, candidates need to think well before answering and keep in mind that Bi-Lo careers are customer focused. Some of the most frequent Bi-Lo interview questions are:
- Why do you want to work for Bi-Lo?
- What do you know about us?
- Have you ever shopped here?
- How would you handle a customer’s complaint?
- What is your work availability?
- What would you do if you saw a customer stealing?
As it was already said, candidates need to know a few things about the company and the job they applied for. Also, they need to try and answer a few questions before the actual job interview, just to make sure their answers will get them closer to their desired Bi-Lo job.
Official site: www.bi-lo.com
Official career site: BiLo Application Site