Employment at Papa Johns
Papa Johns Pizza is one of the most popular & widespread pizza delivery restaurant chains in the United States. The company was founded in October 2, 1984 by ‘Papa’ John Schnatter, with the idea of offering customers ‘better ingredients, better pizza’. The company’s headquarters can be found in Jeffersontown, Kentucky. Since its inception, Papa Johns has been a huge success. It all started out with one restaurant and $1,600 worth of second-hand equipment. The pizzas prepared by John were so good that one year later the restaurant expanded to an adjacent space. Here we are, roughly 40 years later, and 4,000 new take-out, restaurant and pizza delivery establishments scattered across 33 countries.
If you are thinking of submitting a Papa Johns application you should know a few things about the company. First of all, when they say Better Ingredients, Better Pizza, they aren’t simply referring to sauce or dip. For Papa Johns, the most important ingredients are people and this includes customers and employees. Once you become part of the company you will be encouraged to share your opinion, contribute with ideas, but also to work hard in order to ensure the satisfaction of customers.
Papa Johns careers can be an excellent choice not only for entry-level applicants but also for individuals who wish to make a career in the restaurant industry. This is not just ‘another job’. If you are to be considered for a position within the company you should be prepared for a challenging working environment. Papa Johns is hungry for perfection and determined to offer unparalleled customer satisfaction. Therefore, compatible applicants must provide with quality work.
Knowing a little bit about the company’s rich history and core values is extremely important, especially for this company. On the official website you will see the “How” of Papa Johns: focus, accountability, superiority, P.A.P.A (people are priority always), attitude and constant improvement represent the core qualities that hiring managers look for in a new worker.
Read the following guide to learn more about Papa Johns careers, requirements, average salaries, job description and duties, benefits and interview process. If you have further inquiries regarding the company’s history and policies we strongly recommend you to visit the official site (on www papajohns com)
Papa Johns Application
As one of the largest pizza franchises in the United States, Papa Johns is constantly looking for new associates for their restaurants and corporate offices. Papa Johns currently operates over 4,000 locations, 3,000 of which are in the United States alone. For the job-seeker this is excellent news as there will always be some sort of position opening up with the company. Entry-level and qualified applicants should have no problems in securing Papa Johns careers as long as they demonstrate strong work ethic and intercommunication skills.
Minimum Age for Employment at Papa Johns
Entry-level Papa Johns careers are available for applicants over the age of 16. This means that team members, cashiers, customer care associates or maintenance staff positions can be filled by applicants 16 and above. As far as corporate careers are concerned, they are available for candidates 18 and older, but preferably over 21, as certain education and experience is required.
Papa Johns Hours of Operation
Store hours may vary from location to location, but in most situations they respect the same schedule:
Monday – Thursday: 8:00 AM – 10:00 PM
Friday – Saturday: 8:00 AM – 11:00 PM
Sunday: 9:30 AM – 9:30 PM
Of course, if the store opens at 8:00 AM, this means that employees must show up at least one hour early to clean up the store, start preparing food and complete other prepping tasks. In addition to this, workers from the delivery & stocking department may be required to work late hours. Applicants should know from the start that there are only two legal days off at Papa Johns (Thanksgiving and Christmas). For all the other holidays and special occasions you will have to show up for work.
Entry-Level Papa Johns Careers and Income
Available Papa Johns Jobs: restaurant team member, custodial maintenance, operations engineer, transportation shift leader, desktop engineer, food service manager, shift runner, delivery specialist, restaurant manager, administrative assistant, truck driver, delivery driver, shift leader, distribution team leader, client services, print operations and sales, corporate support, food production, logistics expert, plant management, engineering & management, training & support, field operator, delivery driver etc.
Without a doubt the most accessible entry-level Papa Johns career is that of team member. Interestingly enough, team members have a wide array of responsibilities that encompass titles such as kitchen worker, delivery driver, counter attendant etc. As we already mentioned, Papa Johns careers do not entail incredible education and background requirements, but they will require applicants to work hard and have a flexible schedule. Because the majority of Papa Johns locations are franchised, independent owners and managing teams are working extra-hard to convey the ideology and vision that enforces Papa Johns. This implies very high expectations from managers. While entry-level positions are accessible to everyone, administrative positions can only be filled by individuals with vast experience and exceptional leadership and organizational skills.
Let’s take a look at some of the most common Papa Johns careers:
Delivery Driver – Job Description and Duties
This position consists of basic tasks such as completing monetary transactions, delivering orders etc. On certain occasions (example: when there is cleaning to be done) delivery drivers are required to double as team members. The typical job requirements for this Papa John career include being 16 or older, having a valid driver’s licenses with clean records and applying online via the career portal.
Keep in mind that, by applying online, you are consenting to a background check & drug screening. In addition to this, delivery drivers are also required to do regular drug tests at many locations. The ideal candidate should have good interpersonal and organization skills, a friendly attitude and commitment to quality service. If you are selected for this position you will have to undergo a short training program that lasts two to three days.
Salary and Compensation: Because it is an entry-level position, it also offers an entry-level salary. Delivery drivers can also earn extra money from tips (a thank you for prompt service). This should encourage them to perform better. For part-time positions drivers are required to drive approximately 20-30 hours per week, but holiday seasons may result in longer shifts. Although the minimum age for delivery driver is $8.00 per hour, experienced drivers can earn between 10.00 and 15.00 dollars per hour. Another detail worth mentioning is non-wage benefits. Both part time and full time employees are eligible for 401 (k) retirement plants, medical coverage, discounts on food & drinks etc.
Team Member – Job Description and Duties
Team members, also referred to as crew members, do not have an extremely challenging job, but they are in charge of several duties. For example, they must ensure fast production of quality products, efficient delivery, customer satisfaction etc. Cashier responsibilities (ringing out purchases, credit card transactions etc.) are also included in the job description. You may not have known this, but team members must also make the pizza while also adhering to all quality and safety policies. Maintaining a clean work environment, reporting to managers and resolving issues with customers are also the responsibility of team members.
Salary and Compensation: Team members, like delivery drivers, start with minimum-wage (8.00 dollars per hour). Experienced crew members can up their salaries to 10.00 dollars per hour. Obviously, more time and experience with the company, as well as good productivity, lead to individual increases in traffic. Crew members can also enjoy non-wage benefits such as medical, dental & vision insurance, retirement plans, paid leave, access to scholarships and tuition reimbursement etc. Job benefits will vary according to location.
Papa Johns Careers in Management
It is true that requirements for Papa Johns jobs in management are high. In addition to this, the company prefers to groom, prepare and promote from within. This doesn’t mean that exceptional applications will not be accepted. www papajohns com is looking for individuals with leadership & organizational skills to coordinate crew members. At Papa Johns, managers come in close contact with entry-level employees and they are invaluable for a smooth working process.
Assistant managers will hire and train new applicants and manage daily schedules. They will also ensure that quality and safety standards are met at all time. The general manager must come up with viable strategies for growth, understand the utilization of day-to-day equipment and processes and shift leaders must overview the work of entry-level candidates.
Salary-wise, Papa Johns careers in management are worth it. A shift-leader will earn between 10.00 and 11.00 dollars per hour, but he isn’t as solicited as crew members. Assistant managers usually earn an annual wage of 30,000 dollars and general managers earn over 50,000 dollars per year. Non-wage benefits are not worth discussing, as managers benefit from all.
Basic Tips for Applying at Papa Johns
You can apply for Papa Johns careers online or in person. Restaurants and smaller locations regularly post announcements for open positions for those who wish to submit their resume offline. This also increases the chances of receiving an interview on-the-spot. Nevertheless, we believe that it is more efficient to complete the Papa Johns app process online. This is because the official website (www papajohns careers.com) is extremely well structured and user-friendly.
Here is the step-by-step guide to completing your job application:
- Head over to the company’s official career portal – click here – You will see a sidebar with various careers (corporate careers, distribution center, print and promotion, franchise and restaurant careers). On the right side of the screen you will see the interactive map. You can use either the sidebar or the interactive map to find a suitable job.
- Job Searching with the interactive map: If you want to filter results according to location, then the interactive map is your best bet. Simply click on the red “search for jobs with our interactive map” button to begin the process. The green states on the map are those who have job openings. Click on a state that is ‘near to me’ to bring up job details. The map will zoom into that state, to display even more specific location information.
On the right you will have a list of cities with job openings, and beneath the map you will see available jobs. By clicking on their names you will be able to read more Papa Johns careers information. If you think that you meet the job criteria & requirements you can click on the red “Apply Now” button. To continue with the application process you will have to register an account.
- Applying for Corporate Jobs: According to the company’s description, there are two kinds of people at Papa Johns: those who make the delicious pizza that clients love, and those who support the people who make that pizza. The Papa Johns corporate office must provide with the resources that the sales and delivery departments need to operate. Job openings in the corporate office include accounting & finance, executive, facility & maintenance, legal, marketing, training & support, supply chain & purchasing, quality assurance, franchise services etc. To begin your application process navigate to the link provide above and click on “Search for Corporate Jobs”. You will be redirected to a page that has available management positions divided into categories. Click on them to access specific information and submit your application today. For more information about Papa Johns careers in the corporate office please visit the official website.
- Applying for Distribution Center Papa Johns Careers: Distribution centers are also referred to as quality control centers (QCC), are the places where ingredients are checked and organized for delivery. Careers at QCCs include corporate support, food production, transportation, logistics, international, plant management, engineering & maintenance, distribution, accounting & administrative. Simply click on “search our current distribution center jobs” to begin the application process. As is the case with corporate jobs, you will see distribution center Papa Johns jobs organized on categories.
- Applying for Print & Promotion Papa Johns careers: As the name suggests, print & promotion employees must get the company’s message out loud and clear. This department includes client services, print sales and print operations jobs. Click on “search our print and promotion jobs today” to begin the application process.
- Applying for Restaurant Careers with Papa Johns: The Papa Johns application online process is very similar to the before-mentioned departments. Simply access the specific category and click on “search our restaurant jobs” to begin the application process. You will probably notice that there are a lot more job openings for restaurant careers than other departments. Take time to look through all the specifics of jobs before applying.
Advanced tips for Applying at Papa Johns
Now that we’ve gone through the basics of Papa Johns application forms, let’s take a look at a few advanced strategies that will make your jobs and employment form shine:
- Keep it short and simple. Hiring managers don’t have very much time to read, especially considering that they go through hundreds, if not thousands, of applications on a monthly basis.
- Attach extra documentation such as resume, cover letter and references. References are extremely important for the community of Papa Johns. The resume is also a welcome addition as it will present your background, education and experience information in a more organized format.
- Nothing is more annoying than having to read through an application that has spelling and grammar mistakes. Re-read your application to make sure that yours is correctly written.
- If you are not content with your application you should wait 48 hours before submitting it. Read it again the following day or ask a friend to check it for you.
- Only include information that is relevant to the position that you are applying for. Read about the company’s history and work ethic and show the hiring manager that you are compatible with their principles.
Papa Johns Application Status
Hiring process will vary from position to position. If you are applying for a restaurant Papa Johns career you should expect a response in three to five working days. Manager and delivery department applicants will probably have to wait longer. If it’s been two or more weeks since you applied you might want to follow-up with a phone call or visit to the store. Don’t use some generic line when talking to a manager. You want to show him that you are truly interested in the position that you applied for. As the possibility of on-spot-hiring may occur, you should also think of visiting the store in person. Whatever method you choose to use, try not to come across as impolite or too persistent.
Benefits at Papa Johns
Papa Johns expects employees to perform exceptionally and it will reward those who do so. Full-time and part-time employees are eligible for certain benefits including health plans, health coverage, retirement plans, paid time off etc. Below you will find a list of company benefits. You should also know that the Papa Johns work environment, while strict, is extremely productive. Working within a team and having to deal with customers on a daily basis will help you grow within the company. Lastly, competitive pay is offered for those who excel in their field.
- 401 (K) retirement plans
- Hospital plans – instead of hospital indemnity insurance
- Flexible hours, weekly paychecks, direct deposit, discounts for pizza and drinks, recognition programs, training sessions etc.
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Short-term disability coverage
- Term life & accidental death and dismemberment insurance
Papa JohnsInterview Tips & Hiring Process Information
After you have submitted your Papa Johns application you can start preparing for the interview. This can be done by doing some extra research about the company or by rehearsing questions and answers in front of the mirror. Applicants for delivery driver jobs usually participate in one-on-one interviews where they have to answer simple questions about their background, education and driving capabilities.
Crew members and prep cooks will also participate in one on one interview with hiring managers. In some situations, candidates will go through a preliminary interview on the phone. The phone interview will consist of simple questions like “How well do you know the area?”, “Why did you choose Papa Johns?” etc.
Interviews for Papa John corporate careers are a bit more complicated. They usually take place in several rounds, and the final hiring decision rests on the district or general manager. Managers with Papa Johns careers in the corporate office will ask tricky questions to test your logic and leadership skills. For example, you will hear something like “What are some of your negative qualities?”
Before the interview starts you could provide the interviewer with a printed CV or cover letter, in case you haven’t already added them in your Papa Johns application.
As a general rule you should show up to the interview wearing appropriate clothing. A business casual or business outfit should be enough. Make sure you look well-groomed. Also be wary of your body-language. You should maintain a straight posture and look the interviewer in the eyes. Lastly, once the interview is done you should thank the hiring manager for the opportunity.
It is always a good idea to follow-up with a phone-call a few days after the interview to remind hiring personnel of your interest in the Papa Johns career.
Frequently Asked Papa Johns Interview Questions
Below you can find some frequently asked interview questions. We have not provided with interview answers as we believe that each should be unique. They differ from person to person and they should reflect personality, character and work ethic.
- What does your driving record look like?
- Have you ever been in a car accident?
- Do you consent to a drug screening and background check?
- Why do you want to work at Papa Johns?
- Are you available during the weekends?
- What would you do if you had to work in a department that is not your area of expertise?
- How late does Papa Johns deliver and what is the minimum accepted order?
- What would you do to ensure that a disgruntled customer is satisfied?
- What would you do if a co-worker didn’t turn up for a shift?
- Are you prepared to work during the holidays or weekends?
This concludes our Papa Johns job application guide. If you have any more questions we strongly suggest that you visit the official site again (on www papajohns com). How was your experience with Papa Johns? How are you preparing for an interview? We would love to hear from your experiences?